View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Building a 10,000 rpm NA engine.

I think you guys know already, but I'm in the process of building an engine as well. So far I have not taken the block and heads to the machine shop, so I'm in a position right now where I can still do a lot. But, my goals are a bit different from you guys'. I am planning on only revving it to 7500, and letting a well-sized turbo do most of the work. The power goals are not very ambitious, but I'd like to see at least 300 at the wheels. 350 and I'd be ecstatic. So if anyone has any suggestions for me I'd love to hear them.

I am not sure whether a dry sump would be the way to go in my case, since I'm not planning on revving the crap out of it like you guys. But if there are improvements to be had, then I'm all ears, and I'm not ruling out a dry sump if it can be done reasonably inexpensively.

Some miscellaneous info/thoughts/questions:

Arias carries EG33 head stud sets for $300 (cheaper than 2 $200 sets of EJ20 studs): http://www.atomicspeedware.com/ej33svx92-97.aspx
If anyone wants the sizes/part numbers for the studs let me know as I have them written down somewhere.

Is there any way we could make a pump that's a bigger size than our stock pump? Sort of like the cosworth 12mm pump that replaces the 10mm EJ pumps? Maybe machine one that's 15mm instead of 12mm?

I still really like the idea of switching to a timing chain - what all would need to be done in order to make that happen?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album