Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: STiLtd683's SVX build: Opinions and advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLtd683 View Post
Pistons:
My bore is currently out of round, so regardless of performance gain I will need to pick up pistons. I am planning on picking up a set of CP pistons. My debate is how big. I know that a few people, such as NeedForSpeed, have talked about putting EJ25 pistons in an EG33. I wouldn't mind going this route as I have to bore and hone anyway. If anyone has any input on whether this is a feasible way to go or if I should just get slightly oversized pistons then I would love to hear it.
You cannot just put EJ25 pisdons in an EG33. Needforspeed and I discussed it and I don't remember exactly why, but you'd have to get pistons made even if the bore is the same as the EJ25 bore. I think it had something to do with the valve cutout angles or something. The cylinder walls can take that much, but I wouldn't feel comfortable boosting it, because the cylinders would be a bit thinner. Still, it's not that much meat off of them, they might be fine.

Cometic headgaskets can't hurt, but the ARP studs would be unnecessary without FI.

STi rods are lighter than the eagles, and strong enough, go with those.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album