View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
My SVX, one year later...(die 56K, lotsa pics)

What a difference a year makes. Here's some before and after, as well as a picture of just how bad some of the rust on my car was. (Warning, graphic content, some readers may wish to leave).

My SVX assumed daily driver duty about a year ago, and has only been off the road while I've been working on it. Over the course of the year it's gotten 2 rear wheel bearings, half the exhaust replaced, new brakes, misc little mods, rims, tires, timing belt, spark plugs, engine re-seal, and FINALLY! New, rust free, doors.

Anyone who was at Reading IX may remember my car, it was by far the rustiest one there. I'm happy to say progress is being made:

Before:

After:

Because of the plastic cladding and the fairly nice bondo job that had been done, you couldn't see the full extent of the rust. When I removed the drivers door there was only one of the nuts holding the cladding on.

Here's what I had underneath:

Ya, I know.

Under the hood I now have a much cleaner engine bay, an Optima Red Top battery (1000 CA/800 CCA FTW), a PWR rad, Hella Supertones, Group A lightweight crank pulley (stealth black paint), a new timing belt, most new seals, NGK Iridium IX plugs...The old coolant was the colour of pea soup.

Before:

After:

I also removed the A/C tensioner bracket and battery hold-down, cleaned them, and gave them a good heavy coating of gloss black VHT caliper paint. That paint is awesome stuff. Spray on, alloy to mostly dry, then bake for an hour at 200°F. It comes out rock hard.

Now I need to do the rest of the body. Also, I switched to synthetic AMSOIL this weekend, and it's doing it's synthetic oil thing and finding and leaks. Now I know I need a new oil pan. Ah well.

I love my car!!!!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 08-12-2008 at 03:42 PM.