Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: The Ultimate SVX Transmission Swap Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter View Post
Generic trans swap question:

I've finally tracked down a local and reasonably priced 4.44 setup. My question however is, what else will I need in advance of swapping this out? My goal is to have every part necessary on hand before I attempt to tackle this. Barring any unforseen circumstances that is.

For instance, since the exhaust needs to come off, I assume I'll need new exhaust gaskets. Is that an accurate assumption? Which ones should I have on hand? What other sundry little tidbits should I acquire beforehand?
You have a 4.44 rear diff too right? I would order a rear main seal, just in case yours is leaking. Exhaust gaskets would be a good idea to get beforehand. Also make sure to get ATF and front and rear diff fluid too. Mobil1 synthetic ATF seems pretty well liked. If you're trying to get the car back on the road as quick as possible by doing everything possible beforehand, you're doing the right thing. Just remember that you can't predict everything and things go wrong sometimes, so have a back up plan in case it takes longer than expected.

Are you planning on pulling the motor/trans from the top, or dropping the trans? If you need to do some serious engine maintenance (valve cover gaskets for example) it might be a good idea to go ahead and pull the engine, since it's not that difficult.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album