View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: cool signal lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaueugen View Post
nice work, what was the price for your tranny swap? ( including the chip tuning, clutch and all the extras needed to make it work right )
The ECUtune stuff precludes tuning (not tunable). I did it myself this time around, by swapping the parts over from my white car, which subsequently was crashed and totaled. I had a shop (s and r performance, good dudes) do the swap on the white car and it cost around 2 grand. Add in the initial cost of the parts ~4 grand. Not an inexpensive undertaking, but worth it, IMO. I learned so much though about the car that I can handle pretty much any problems with it myself these days. It would be much more worth it if I had more power to throw at it. Hopefully soon...

6-speeds themselves are expensive because of the demand for them among the other subie guys (wrx, 2.5rs, ect.). If you use a 5-speed from a WRX you would save quite a bit and could probably get it done for under 2500 if you can handle the work yourself. It's not as hard as you would expect, honestly, just do your research. The how-to docs and stuff only go so far. I'm faaaar from a pro mechanic, but I did it myself.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album