View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
Also just an example I was digging around on the nasioc forums and found a post talking about the 1991-94 EJ22T being able to take 26psi on factory internals, and according to the post the guy has scattered a few of those engines and came to the conclusion through his own experience that 26psi is the highest safe amount of boost, he said 27psi is where eventually rods would fail taking some time to bend and break.
Absolutely, completely, 100% different animals, not comparable at all. The EJ22 is somewhat comparable to our engines, the EJ22t is not. For all the reasons Nate listed. 8-9psi on the stock internals is your limit, intercooled. Less if not intercooled, more if intercooled and tuned well on a hydra.

Tapani is at 5 psi, non-intercooled, with a pretty small turbo, and running the stage 2 stuff as well. Tom's supercharged car was at 9 with a hydra. Phil is at 9, intercooled, on the stage 2 stuff. Sicksubie's supercharged car I think is running a lot more, but on a fully built engine and a hydra.

You'll also find that you're limited by the 370cc injectors to around 380hp, unless you increase the fuel pressure (you already have a bigger fuel pump, right?). It only takes 10-11 psi to get 380 hp worth of air. If you try to do more than 9 psi of boost, you'll need bigger injectors, which means either a hydra or asking LAN to make you a ROM for 550cc injectors, which I'm sure he can do. The N62 (=Z32) MAF is good for 450-500 HP, I forget. It won't be the bottleneck at the boost levels we're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
... searching for turbo yields so many results you can't find what you want.
This is very true. I have actually gone through all the old posts I could find about turbo/supercharging these, it took a long time to find those useful little nuggets of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
My MAF is in the stock location, I even run the stock airbox. No ill effects.... idles just fine.

I have a Forge by pass valve. Also, the engine breather system is stock. The PCV valve is plumbed to the pressure box and the cam cover breathers to the compressor intake. Check the photos in my first post in this thread.

Works really well at least at 5PSI. The engine vacuum is sufficient for the brake booster and all other stuff work too.
So your MAF sees the airflow before it enters the turbo, and then the BPV cycles it back to between the turbo and MAF? That is a very good setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
I haven't tried the cruise at speeds where the engine runs at boost conditions all the time, tho .
The cruise control vacuum is supplied by a vacuum pump hidden under the fuse box, not the actual engine vacuum. So you should have no problems with cruise control at any boost level.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album