Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Clunking -> Rattling -> Squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Did you replace the strut at the same time? Did you ever try to test the strut by having someone sit in the car while you rocked the front corners of the car up and down?

It really sounds like the steering rack to me. I have been wondering if it is related to this TSB:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/suba...-09-01_tsb.pdf

On a non-related note, does anyone have a good test to see if your tires are rubbing the wheel wells? Would the sound be a nasty grinding noise or a simple squonk noise? I get a squonk that sound like rubber rubbing on metal but I think it is actually the over-seized jack I have in the trunk which is surrounded by styrofoam and just sitting between the spare tire and the wall of the recess. I would think a tire rubbing on the wheel well would make a much worse noise but I wanted to test it out for sure. I was thinking some driveway chalk on the tire and see if it get rubbed off.
I didn't really test anything. I assumed the noise was the calipers and had panned to rebuild them sometime in the future. Installing coilovers was a separate venture that happened to fix the clunking. An interesting observation: I drove the car for a few days without the rear sear/interior and could see the rear strut mounts. Any time the car went over a bump they were bouncing up and down wildly.

As for the rubbing... With as low as my car is now I can get the fronts to rub in hard corners. It's a nasty noise, hard to mistake for anything else.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl