View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: some trans questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
You may be able to stick with a non-turbo clutch setup if you can find an aftermarket disc and pressure plate with higher torque ratings.

I've spent the last hour and a half researching your push vs. pull question just so I could answer it, and while I have yet to find a conclusive answer this is how I understand it to work:

Both push and pull clutch types "push" in reference to the direction of the vehicle (forward, release bearing toward the flywheel), but in reference to each other the slave cylinder is either exerted toward or inserted away from the clutch release lever.

WRX clutch is pull type, the slave cylinder pushes a lever forward that pulls the release bearing away from the plate towards the back of the car when the clutch pedal is pushed in. The clutch engages as the slave cylinder actuator is pulled away and the release spring contracts, pulling the lever and bearing into the pressure plate.

Your MT is a push type. The slave cylinder is flipped around the other direction mounted backwards to the WRX cylinder, and pushes the lever opposite direction to the WRX, pushing the release bearing forward as the pedal is retracted, engaging the clutch.

So, in simple terms, a push versus pull type clutch system depends on whether the slave cylinder goes in or out when the clutch is engaged.
I hope that isn't wrong.
Nope, not quite. Took me a long time to figure it out with the parts in hand, it is confusing the first time you encounter them. I still don't understand the advantage of either type, other than being able to have the Slave cylinder in different places.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album