Thread: 50 vs 45
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
a taller tire decreases the final ratio of the drivetrain. this decrease means there will be lower RPMS at speed. This means less flow from the AT oil pump and thuse the fluid not being able to circulate and cool as quickly. The reason the SVX auto overheats and dies is in part due to the 3.545 gear ratio selected for this car. Granted, it may be great for gas mileage BUT it also reduces the flow of the ATF throughout the system and allows temperatures to rise more easily. Thus overheating the transmission and destroying the viscosity of the ATF thus leading to transmission failure. Also, more load is needed to attain the acceleration that the car had before... It all coincides with the ratio found due to tire and differential selection. This is why the 4.44 swap is recomended for people who don't even want to race, becuase of the better ratio the flow of ATF is increased thus prolonging the life of the transmission....phew that was long winded

Tom
What He said!
I ran the Subaru Select Moniter on a repainted SVX yesterday, and his trans temp went up to 208°f on a 53°f (as I remember ) day!
And his SVX has a factory rebuilt trans with only a few thousand miles on it since it's rebuild!
The reason I mention the fact the car was repainted is that when they repainted the car they painted the AC condenser with overspray!
Paint can work as an insulator!
Heat can kill a trans.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link