View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Manual transmission causes crankshaft wear!

Spoke with a tech rep at King Bearings for more than 1/2 hour today.

(Just so there is no confusion the SVX 3.3 does have 60mm main journals on the crankshaft and 52mm crank pin journals, IF the crankshaft has not been machined by someone other than Subaru.)

The only way I can see to get another thrust bearing in there is to machine the crankshaft.

So for a performance rebuild he (the King Bearing tech) would recommend a pair of King CR4125XPG sets for the connecting rods and a pair of MB5250XP sets for the main bearings.
Two sets gets you ten main bearings for the required seven main bearing crankshaft and two sets of connecting rod bearings gets you eight rod bearings for the required six rod bearings.
This is his recommendation for a RACE build not just a regular rebuild.
His reasoning is that on a race engine the bearings take a harder pounding and these bearings use a stronger copper, a stronger lead and the babbitt coating is half as thick.
This lessens the chance of the babbitt coating flaking off.
This is a different opinion than that of LAN at ECUTune who recommends an aluminum/silicone bearing for the main bearings.
I have not yet had a chance to talk to Mike/LAN about this.
I have the HIGHEST respect for Mike and will call him about this.
I just got off the phone with a guy who has a 1200hp 3.3 twin turbo in his road race/hill climb Impreza about what bearings he uses.
He is OK with this bearing recommendation on a race engine.
For a race engine he thinks the King bearings should only be used if they are XP or XPG.
In the mean time I believe that I will wire in a clutch switch that does not allow the starter to be engaged when the clutch pedal is depressed, AND switching to an oil with a higher zink level than Mobil1.
Perhaps, more on this later.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 09-16-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: More detail.