View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: anybody change their steering wheel?

I used the SVX airbag charge from the stock steering wheel. (NOT responsible if something blows up in anyone's face). The wheel is a 90s Legacy GT wheel (pics in album linked in sig somewhere), and I think I had to trim the inside just a little bit to make the airbag charge fit, since it's a little bit bigger than the one that was in there. Also made sure the body of the airbag charge wasn't grounded to anything, since neither were when I got them. Making the horn work was pretty easy, and obvious once both wheels are opened up in front of you. As for the cruise, the place to mount the switch was already there, just had to cut a hole for the switch to poke out through in the back panel of the steering wheel. I did have to cut a wider hole on the back of the steering wheel where it mounts to the column to fit the wires through it, and because there was a round part that rubbed against the SVX column trim.

I picked a 90s legacy wheel since I figured the airbags themselves would be as similar as you could hope for. The airbag charge and the bag itself are from different cars, so there's no way to know for sure whether they will work perfectly together without blowing one up to try it out. I hope never to find out. The newer WRX wheels are smaller in the middle section, so I don't know if I would make the same assumption with those that they'd be close enough to work.

There are some MOMO outback wheels that are black with woodgrain on the top and bottom of the wheel itself, that look like it would match the inside of a later, lighter woodgrain SVX pretty well.

AGAIN, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BLOW ANYTHING UP.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album