View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Here's some pictures:

The pre-cat pipes were cut 4-6" back from the end of the cat's, and adapters were used to get the flexible pipes to fit:

The flex-pipes bend and slide onto the inlets of the Magnaflow cat:

There's a small piece of pipe off the back of the Magnaflow, which is clamped to the stock mid-pipe that was cut a couple inches ahead of the resonator:

You have to cut the mid-pipe a bit further back than just after the flange. Take a look and you will see it bends slightly between the flange and the resonator. You need to cut this bend out or the resonator will hang down so low it will scrape on things. Trust me.

Something to be mindful of is that this is just a temporary solution. In a completely dry place I would give those flew pipes a year before failing. Somewhere with snow and salted roads I'd give them 6 months. That's the reason one of mine is new, I blew up the old flew pipe at the snow track. That was the loudest, most unpleasant drive home of my life.

Here's what happened to the old flex pipe:

Most of the unwinding was from me tearing it off today, but it sheared off at the connection to the main cat.

So again, go ahead with this, but start saving for a proper exhaust, wherever you want to get it from. I went with this because I couldn't afford the $2300 the shop wanted to replace the pre-cats so I could pass safety. I'll be replacing it with a complete stainless system soon enough.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl