View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Mods for the tcu/engine Q:

OBD 2 means you can't use any of the ECUtune stuff, neither the ECUs or TCUs.

I have read that the smallcar kit is not very good, but I've no personal experience with it. As I understand, it does pretty much what the QuickChange does, except the QC is entirely electrical.

QC I had for a while, but now I get my jollies from the 6-speed. It definitely made the shifts firmer/quicker. If you live close to someone with one, it would be good to try before you buy. It's not going to hurt anything, you might just find that you don't like how that much shift-shock feels.

The power mode mod is the very first thing I'd do. By far the most cost-effective mod you could ask for. Just a couple little wires and a switch and you've completely changed the attitude of the car. You no longer have to almost floor it to get it do downshift. The only downside is that the TCU won't lockup the torque converter while you're cruising until you turn it back off. If you can, put the switch on the thumb-button of the shifter. That's what I did in my black car (but lost manual mode, which I'm about 90% sure is due to a wiring mishap). It really makes a huge difference.

The power mode mod also has the plus-side that it's something that was designed into the car, just never enabled. So it's not really a mod, it's more of a hack.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album