View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Possible trunk strut alternative

Got an update on the trunk struts. Installed one today. Have to find ind some parts for the second that I missplaced. Things to note.

1) The install will be a bit tricky if you’re not strong. Work smart not hard. Snap strut on bottom first! If your having difficulty compressing strut for trunk ball stud hold the strut against the protrusion above the ball stud. Slowly compress the strut by closing trunk halfway. Hold strut in compressed state. Open trunk and try to snap it in. Got it my second try.

2) The ball studs outlined for the hood struts are too thick in diameter thread to fit in stock brackets. I used 6mm that I ordered a while back. You can use the 8mm ones but you would need to drill out the mounting hole.

3) The stock brackets are easily removed from the stock struts by drilling out the rivet.
With one trunk strut installed, the trunk will stay up on level ground but will fall closed once the trunk angle is less than 90 degrees. I believe that once I get the second strut on trunk will be good to go.

The hood struts I got from local auto store are not strong enough and I will need to order ones from the hood writeup.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.

Last edited by svxcess; 11-24-2018 at 08:49 PM.