View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: LH Valve Cover, how to remove from engine bay?

Slide underneath the car with a flashlight. You will see, to the rear of the oil pan, the subframe, and you should also be able to see the motor mounts. The motor mounts rest on top of the subframe, and each has a stud that goes through the top of the subframe, and a nut threads on from the bottom, through 2 holes in the underside of the subframe. The nuts, IIRC, are 14mm head.

If your motor mounts are starting to go, there's a decent chance you'll finish them off when you raise the engine even after taking the nuts off. Also you might have to disconnect the dog-bone mount, which connects the top, front of the trans to the firewall. I'm not too sure how high you'll be able to lift it before that mount starts to be a limitation.

I would caution against lifting up the engine with the front of the car jacked up. I would jack the car up, put jack stands or something for safety, undo the motor mount nuts, and then lower the car back down, then jack the engine up (the oil pan should be plenty strong) and do your work from the top. As you raise it up, be careful and proceed slowly to avoid pulling on any hoses, wires, etc. Just lift it up until the motor mount studs clear the subframe (just a couple inches), and then you can shift it to the side to get the valve cover off.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album