View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Well I've hit a roadblock. The raised part of the STi front upper strut mount is too large to fit through the hole in the SVX. Th hole is about 3.75", and the raised part of the mount varries from 3.8-4.1". Also, the studs on the mount are more widely spaced on the STI, and need as much as 0.5" more space, which I'm not sure the SVX has to spare. All this points to needing to use the upper mount for the SVX in the front.

I've also been doing some thinking about swapping the whole STI knuckle and hub into the SVX. They have different ball joints, but an adapter can be made to overcome that. The biggest problem I see is that with the STI knuckle, we will HAVE to run the Brembos. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a bunch more money, on the brakes and the rims to fit over them.

The reason for that is that when Tom tried to fit the Brembos he found that the SVX, while having the same bolt pattern, has the caliper mounted farther out from the center of the hub. This means that to run Brembos on an SVX, you need larger rotors than an STI would, and the calipers really can't work properly with larger rotors. Mounting an SVX caliper on an STI knuckle would bring it closer to the center, and would not allow us to use our stock rotors. So unless there's a good substitute in the size that would require, it would be Brembos or nothing. (The Subaru 4-pots might fit, but I don't know if there's a 5x114.3 rotor that will work with those)

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl