View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Question about remote starters

http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm

This guy (SVXdc here on the forums) I vaguely remember also selling an adapter to plug into the stock security plug. That will take care of about 90% of the necessary wiring (basically everything other than the actual remote start wiring at the ignition or wherever).

Do it yourself if at all possible, whoever did the wiring of a remote start/security system into my black car many years ago (before I owned it) really butchered the wiring and created a short that caused the battery to drain when the door lock fuse was in. After a few months the "fix" was to disable the aftermarket system (still leaving it zip-tied in place and plugged into everything), remove the door lock fuse, and replace the ignition itself! So in a few months it went from having a perfectly fine, working stock security system to having two different keys for the ignition and doors, and no power locks.

Do not underestimate the damage that the amateurs at the security/audio shops can and will do to your car.

You have a 96, so, yes your security module is under the rear deck between the rear speakers. However, to change the speakers, you must remove the top cover for the rear deck, but to change the security system, you should only need to remove the bottom cover, which is in the trunk.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album