View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed Questions

1 - I have a 6-speed, not a 5-speed, but my 6-speed is non-DCCD, so it has the same type of center differential as the 5-speeds, the viscous center diff. It feels much better to me than the ACT-4 AWD system that the USDM SVXes came with, because it's always in AWD mode, instead of only when the front wheels slip. That said, it's pretty difficult to make any of the wheels slip, so I don't really know how well it would do if it loses traction. It is much more difficult to lost traction though. I think the viscous center is better overall.

I don't think it's as good as the VTD system, but I've only driven an 03 VTD outback for a week or so, so I can't make a good apples-to-apples comparison.

If you want a decidedly superior AWD system in a USDM SVX, a DCCD 6-speed is the way to go, if you can afford it. Not many can these days though.

2- It's really really easy to keep the cruise control. The how-to that Huck made explains how to do it, but not very well. I have been meaning to write-up how to do it so that it makes more sense, esp to those who are less experienced like I was. If you have questions about this, make a thread so we can clear up the confusion about this.

Hope that helps.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album