Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: For the serious track junkies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
I've got an question about the Coefficient of drag on an svx.
Was that mesurement based on that wide body svx, or just on your normal run of the mill svx.
Would there be much difference between the both of them?
By wide body, do you mean one of the prototypes? I assume that number would have been measured during development. If they used one of the prototypes then it may not reflect 100% on the production cars, because (I think) the prototype cars were actually wider than our production versions. I'm not sure how much of a difference, positive or negative, that would have made.

It really all depends on a lot of small things. For example, if you ran a wheel with a lower offset in the rear, so it sat more flush with the fended, instead of the stock wheel that sits 1"+ inside the wheel well, you would see a lower C of D number. This is because the air wouldn't be able to tuck in to the wheel well and generate drag as much.

And just because a car looks blunt nosed doesn't mean it's going to move through the air like a shoebox. The new GT-R has a 0.27 C of D, and it's nose isn't exactly needle-like.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl