View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
2) I am not certain, but I would think that any turbo sized for the application would be spinning at idle, regardless of where it was mounted in the exhaust stream. I think this turbo (GT35) is a touch on the to big side and that is why is doesn't spin at idle. It will spin when the car is first started and is at high idle but once warmed and it idles down it doesn't spin. I believe if I were using something smaller like say a GT30 it would spin at idle, being that a smaller turbo would have less weight for the exhaust stream to overcome. I am not 100% sure but this sounds accurate to me.
Having looked at quite a few compressor maps, I feel confident enough to say that a GT35 will definitely be oversized on a stock block. It's also big enough that it will surpass the fuel supplied by LAN's stage 2 stuff. A GT30 is slightly oversized even.

With a hydra, with 750 or 550cc injectors, on a lower compression built motor, a GT35 is reasonable.

Of course, now that you've got it all put together, see how it goes.

The MAF I strongly recommend keeping down-stream of the turbo, closer to the intake for several reasons. For one, a BOV will work as long as it's pre-MAF, since it won't affect the reading of how much airflow is actually making it into the throttle bodies. If it's post-MAF, then any air that's blown off will have already been read, and the ECU will still inject fuel for that air so it will run rich for a couple seconds. Second, the MAF voltage is pretty low, and low voltage tends to droop with increased wire length. If you take it all the way to the trunk that would probably be low enough to affect readings. Best to play it safe and keep it in the engine bay. It does require that the intake air be low enough to work with the MAF. I really think that some intercooling is in order with this setup, regardless of where you put the MAF, but that's one more reason. Also, the closer to the throttle bodies the MAF is, the more accurate and "on-time" the airflow reading will be to the ECU. Another reason is that Phil (the guy who build the green turbo (GT30)/intercooled/stage2/N62 MAF/370cc injector SVX) got a much better idle and overall running when he moved the MAF to a foot before the throttle bodies instead of just before the turbo. And nothing beats experience (especially since there's so precious little when it comes to turboing SVXes).

I like this project a lot, hope it works really well. I also really like the pace you're working on it at. I must admit I was kinda skeptical of the whole rear-mount thing, but seeing it all put together is intriguing. I like the idea of a clear cover for the trunk area that lets you see the turbo. If you make it pretty then it will be a hit at car meets and such. And even if it is oversized, that big turbo looks beastly in there.

And thanks for inspiring me to get back in my garage to work on my own slow-moving turbo project. You may have some competition soon.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album