View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: transmission cooling questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
What would the "proper size" be in florida?
Do I completely eliminate all fluid routing to the radiator and use ONLY the aftermarket cooler?
I dont want to overcool and I have the ecutune tcu from LAN so the temperature that the light comes on is lower than stock.
Any recommendations?
I want to stay away from putting an inline thermostat if that makes any difference.
Appreciate the suggestions.
I have an Hayden/Imperial transmission on all of my SVXi, both my sons, and Green-Eyed-Lady's.
The biggest one is on my supercharged Claret. It's 10 X 12 X 3/4", and its actually too big SINCE I installed LAN's valve body!
(LAN's valve body flows more oil so the transmission is cooler to begin with!)
A 7.5" X 12 X3/4" cooler from Hayden/Imperial would be more than enough for Florida!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you have the Subaru factory campaign filter, take it off!
I just replaced an 80,250 mile SVX transmission and the campaign was so clogged I count blow through it!

In Florida you do not REALLY need the cooler/warmer IMHO, and it is VERY VERY restrictiive to flow.
I hope this helps.
BTW, that same 7.5 X 12 X 3/4 cooler would be too big for a Winter driven SVX in the Northern states in the Contintal United States!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link