View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Time for a bunch of preventative maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I'm not sure why I would want to combine the vacuum lines with any of these. My lines are in surprisingly good shape. I could see doing them as PM but not necessarily because I am doing any of the other stuff listed above. I would think this would be a separate job I would do, just because. Are the knock sensors easier with the intake manifold off? If so, maybe those should be done when I do the vac lines.
The knock sensors are very difficult with the intake mani on. One of them is accessible if you remove the alternator and have tiny hands and long fingers and are extremely careful not to break any vac lines. That would be the right side (front) knock sensor. The other one is near impossible without taking the intake mani off. I would also suggest taking the intake manifold off, but just shifting it to the side so you could get away with disconnecting just the bare minimum amount of stuff to just do the knock sensors.

Also the PCV is way easier with the mani off.

But if the vac lines are as good as you say, then might be better off leaving that all for later. But there is a very high likelihood that you will need a knock sensor or two and fresh vac lines in the next 50k miles or so.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album