View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Driving that 4EAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
During urban driving, is D the better option or maybe 2 or 3?
3. The final drive gearing on the VTD 4EATs is different from the USDM ones, but here the problem is 4th gear, at low RPMs results in too low of line pressure to hold it in gear properly. So, there is a constant slip, grab, slip, grab, which you can't even notice. So even though it will shift into 4th at really low speeds, like 35mph, it's not good for it. Keep it in 3 until like 50mph, then shift to D. Because your trans is 3.7:1 final drive instead of 3.54, the speeds might be a bit different, but that's the idea. Also, the torque converter will lock up (in 4th) at anything above 50 mph if you're maintaining a pretty steady speed. This is good for reducing wear/operating temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Is it better to actively use manual mode in fluctuating situations or let it run itself?
Don't bother messing with manual mode, it's almost entirely useless. The only use I've heard of is when there's snow/ice, you can use 2nd or 3rd to avoid spinning the tires. The switched power mode mod is worth doing.

I thought the extra water pump line on the Euro cars was for an oil cooler for the engine? If it's for the trans, that's good, but I'd double check that.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album