View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: electric water pump for my eg33

The coolant still needs to be flowing at all times, to prevent hot spots, and so the engine can warm up evenly, etc. In the factory configuration, when the coolant isn't flowing through the radiator, it's flowing through the various bypass lines. The T-stat really just changes the path of least resistance from the bypass lines to the radiator, but the coolant is still always flowing when the T-stat is "closed". It's just limited to flowing through the bypass lines, which keeps it from getting cooled down by the rad, until it warms up enough to open the T-stat.

That said, you can certainly adjust the speed of the pump to flow slower when the cooling demands are not so much, and higher when they are. But I don't think you would want it to ever fully stop.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album