View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
This has been touched on before, but has anyone tried the Evans waterless coolant?

It's supposed to be superior to glycol/water against cavitation - see here:

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/techn...-no-erosion/47

I know cavitation in large diesel engine cooling systems cause cylinder liner erosion problems - I've seen it many times.

Here's a test result from SwRI (used to work there a long time ago )

http://www.evanscooling.com/assets/U...n-Results2.pdf

The liner erosion caused by cavitation was significantly reduced compared to the reference coolant.

I know the heat transfer is somewhat less than standard coolants, but if that is not the limiting factor.... someone who actually has this problem might want to try, eh ?

/T
(Chemist here) If the boiling point of the waterless coolant is much higher than the bp of water, then it should help at least some with cavitation. Their website says the BP is 180*C, water's BP is of course 100*C. says their coolant (the one branded npg+), is mostly ethylene glycol. Long story short, the increased bp should mean that the coolant is less susceptible to cavitation caused by low pressure on the inlet side of the water pump. At least, it should significantly raise the rpms that cavitation starts to occur at.

Seems to me that it would be worth a try. Maybe the combo of reducing the wp efficiency, plus the waterless coolant would give a decent compromise of high enough flow at low rpms to keep things cool and low enough flow at high rpms to prevent cavitation.

I'm still liking the electric water pump route more myself, but Evans/drilling wp could be a lower cost alternative that gets the job done.

Out of curiosity, is the waterless coolant usually allowed by competition rules?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album