some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
As for some possibly helpful links:

12-1 tooth (stock svx) ignition setup: MS2-Extra Dual Wheel Manual

6 cylinder COP spark setup: (with a missing tooth 12-1,1 setup, but should be similar for non-missing tooth) http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...?f=101&t=41252

I know you MS3/3x guys already have 6-cylinder support out of the box, us MS2 guys need to do a firmware update (just to the latest) and then rewire a little bit. I'm still iffy on how to get the signal out of the box itself, might need an additional D-sub connector, or maybe there are enough wires on the MS harness that we can scavenge some unused pins. Either way, I doubt that my relay board will be able to handle it, so I may be DIYing a new relay board (now that I have a cheap source for custom PCB's).

Also, am I correct in assuming the stock IACV is a PWM control? It doesn't seem to have enough wires for a stepper style.

And what are people using for IAT's? I'll probably use the GM one mounted directly in the center of the intake manifold (or at least in the plenum) because that's where my supercharger will be blowing into, and I'll want a post-boost temperature (as it'll likely be in the mid-upper 100's). To start with though (pre-supercharging) I'll probably just plumb it into the plastic elbow somewhere.
The MS2/Extra can handle 2 crank/cam inputs. (It is the MS2/extra you guys are looking at, right, not just the MS2?) I bet you will still need/want the dual vr board. With the cam input, you won't need to grind a tooth off the 12-tooth crank wheel, and it will be able to do COP.

There will be plenty of spare wires on the 76 pin plug if you want to get creative, and use the stock wiring for things it wasn't meant for - for example, you could mount the IAT sensor near where the MAF was, and use one of the MAF wires for the IAT signal. Or you can drill another hole out of the case and add your own plug, to keep the stock wiring untouched, and the stock ECU and MS easily swappable.

The IACV is a 3-wire PWM. I'm not sure whether the MS2 can handle a 3-wire PWM, but it can handle a 2-wire one. I remember reading that there was a way to make a 3-wire one work as if it was a 2-wire one.

I used the GM IAT sensor. Cheap enough. A Suby CTS can be made to work, if you have a spare, but because it's a closed sensor design, it won't respond to air temp changes as fast as the open sensor GM one. Also, the plenum gets pretty hot, you might encounter IAT heat soak issues if you mount it there. Maybe try to insulate it?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album