View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
Also subbed, because Bob will eventually need electrical help, and he'll text me for it, so I need to be ready.

If anyone's having problems with the stock ignition coils, and doesn't realize that the stock ignitor is just a transistor array that switches the ground of the individual coils, this sentence might help you.
Yep, knowing how stuff works really helps a lot.

People have had problems with the stock ignitors due to not realizing the very short dwell times that need to be used with them, and how to figure out what dwell times should be used. I burned mine because the dwell time I had it set to at first was 6ms (tunerstudio default). Even the LS2 coils only need 4.5ms, and I believe I came across someone using a dwell of 2.3ms with the stock ignitor/coils without problems. Now that I know that, once I have everything running well on the LS2 coils, I plan to switch back to the stock ignition hardware and figure out settings that work for them, so others will be able to use them and not have to spring for the LS2 coils.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album