View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Were Should I Spend my EG33 Dollars to Kick Ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I don't know how you guys can put 2-3K+ worth of parts in your engines, take months and even years to build it all up patiently, nicely with a lot of love and then run it with something so unreliable, troublesome and nasty. Don't you think it would be better to spend that coin on the ecu and run the stock internals or at least reduce internal work etc?

The ECU is the most important part in your car, my advice is to invest in it (doesn't have to be expensive, just run something known to work without drama) or you will pay the price via by wasted time, poor dyno results or higher costs for a tuner trying to figure it out / fix the signal issues.
Once setup properly, which does take a little experimenting for each new application, they run fine. Just takes a little figuring out. Right now, I can't do much work on the hardware of the car, since basically all my spare cash is tied up buying a house, so I have the time to iron the bugs out before I'll be ready to get back to the real work.

Basically, it's only such a pain in the ass the first time around, then it will be easy for the next guy to get his setup. I am just unlucky not to be that second guy. Mike too.

And then once figured out, we can be saving, what? almost a grand compared to a hydra? That's a solid amount of money that could go to parts or whatever.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 11-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.