View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

A bit more progress this weekend:

Block-off plate I made for the transmission harness hole. The clutch M/C requires a 1.25" hole, and the bolt holes are 3/8". It's painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, like the transmission.

With the clutch M/C installed:

Got the R180 and STi axles in:

You can see the slot that has to be cut into the support bracket. The exhaust hanger from the subframe is also in the way. My advice for anyone doing this job: Lift the diff up and slide the studs into the rear bushings, then use a jack to support the front. A 19mm box wrench is prefect to sliding onto the exhaust hanger and bending it. Lift the diff up and bend as required until the bolts go in.

Shifter fully mounted:

And this little pest:

To run SVX front axles the seals in the transmission need to be replaced with those from an early production '04 STi. Only the first 3 months production have the right part. Unfortunately, that part number is discontinued and unavailable to Subaru dealers. My transmission already had the seals changed, but one was damaged. In the end what I did was write down the NOK part number that was on the seal and have NAPA cross-reference it. About an hour and several phone calls later they tracked down a compatible seal across the country. A few days later it arrived in Ottawa. It's slightly thicker than the original seal, but overall seems to fit well.

I also picked up some black Gorilla lug nuts. Better suited to the car's theme than the chrome ones I had previously. They're also aluminum and weigh ****-all. No impact guns!!!

Finally, my method for pushing the car into the garage. I wonder what the tow rating is on an Elantra... Also, RIP to the poor blue Forester... My brother rolled it at ~90 kph last year. Idiot.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:20 AM.