Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 6 mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluo View Post
Hello,

I have a question about the 6spd swap. I converted my svx from 5mt to 6mt sti. When i had the 5mt installed , it was very loud inside the car. While driving, you heard the transmission. It was like a dogbox but it ran fine.
Now, the 6spd is even louder, like a truck.

Did you cover the shifting gate with something? In this pic , there is a rubber boot installed. http://www.redlinegoods.com/images/F...install-04.JPG

Could it be the reason for this problem?

Thanks
That could definitely be the problem. I have the same issue, and mine is drowned out by the exhaust at highway speeds when it's the loudest, but I am pretty sure that putting a rubber "boot" type thing like on the stock M/T cars would lessen the noise from the trans greatly. Next time mine's apart I'll probably put in something like that.

Also, at least in my case, I know that the trans has a good number of miles on it, so the bearings and stuff inside the trans are getting to be whiny just due to wear, so I think that contributes somewhat.

There is a heat shield between the trans and the shifter area that is frequently deleted in m/t swaps. That also probably contributes a little.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album