View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
As for the MAF I am thinking of running a bigger gauge wire say a 14 or something and running the wires back to the turbo, but I was also thinking of running the MAF close to the throttle body, (need your guys help here) but for that to work it would have compressed air moving through it and I am not sure how that would work out.
It will work fine as long as the air is cool. (I'm guessing you know how a MAF works, but for everyone else's sake) A MAF meter works by heating a wire to a particular temperature and then measuring the voltage required to maintain that temperature with the air moving past it and trying to cool it. The more air, the more voltage required to maintain the wire at that temperature. If the air is warm, then it doesn't work very well, since warm air won't cool that wire very well. In a stock turbo subaru setup, the MAF is pre-turbo, and the use of a bypass valve instead of a blow off valve, keeps the airflow measured by the MAF proportional to the air that actually enters the throttle body. Since in this remote-mount setup, a BPV would mean running another pipe all the way back to before the turbo (but after the MAF). That's a lot of plumbing, so you'll need a BOV.

But for that to work, you'll also need some kind of intercooling, which probably would be a good idea anyway. I bet an air-to-water setup would be a really great idea with this setup. Just stick one of these guys along the pipe carrying the pressurized air from the turbo to the front, and stick the heat exchanger up by the radiator somewhere. Would work beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
I know the gt35 is a beast, but I am going for more of a CFM build instead of a high boost build at this point, once I get some boost friendly pistons then I can start going higher boost, but that will be a long time down the road, as for now it's really more of an experiment at this point, (I like to think of it as an EDUCATED EXPERIMENT ;D) but it's gonna be some trial and error for a little while.
You're going in the opposite order from me. I'm building the engine first and then turboing it after.

Tapani (since I know you'll check this eventually), where is your MAF at and do you have a blow-off valve? I forget.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album