Thread: Axel Question
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Axel Question

It's pretty doable, but a big challenge without an impact gun will be getting the axle nuts off. I have done it but I needed a 2 foot breaker bar with 4 foot pipe on the end of it and a bigger dude to stand on it.

I have one of the advance front axles and it has been ok so far (more than 2 years).

Personally, I would just take it to a shop, but one that I could sit there and watch. Each axle has a spring pin on the joint that connects to the spline from the transmission, other than that they are typical of CV axles to change. Take off wheel, remove axle nut, remove spring pin from transmission side of axle, undo ball joint from knuckle, slide axle off of transmission (may require pry bar, but not too bad) (make sure that when you're pulling the knuckle away from the car you aren't yanking on a brake line or an abs sensor wire), slide axle out of hub, install in reverse order. If you're doing it on jack stands, you will want to break loose the axle nuts (don't take them off all the way otherwise the wheel will fall off) with the car still on the ground. Take off the center cap and the little axle nut cover underneath it, and have a buddy press on the brakes with the e-brake up and the car NOT in park.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album