View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Car Stalling/Shutting Off

Not throwing a MAF code doesn't mean the MAF is not still the culprit. In fact, most of the MAF issues I've seen online do not mention throwing a code for it. I have had my car throw a crank sensor code due to clutching out or stalling, so that code could possibly be due to the car having died for another reason. (Not likely but just want it noted).

How often does it stall? And have you tried running with the MAF unplugged to see if that helps? If it still does the same thing, then that helps to eliminate the MAF as the culprit. You can also try it with an EJ22 MAF, if you can find one of those easily enough. If you do need a MAF, try opening up and soldering the one you've got first.

What I would do (after trying it without the MAF) is take out the crank sensors and see if there are any metal bits attached to them and clean them off. They are magnetic so if they pick up enough bits of stuff they can stop working. They are right next to each other so if one has picked up enough stuff to interfere with it, then the other one should be on the way as well. If there's a lot of stuff on them, then that is likely the problem.

Which of the two crank sensors is it throwing a code for? One of them you can use an EJ22 crank sensor, which can be found cheaper. I would also try rockauto.com to see what they've got.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album