View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Motor back in, crank like it has no compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
are the cams on the right side? The intake cams can be reversed without you realizing... Its prob not a good idea to ask why I know this. Also, the cams can be flipped upside down. They have alignment marks 180* on the gears. Best way to check this...

Pull the valve cover on the pass side (easy one) Check the intake cam has a RIN on it. If it does... pop the pulley on the exhaust cam and pull the cap seal off the intake cam and make the keyway for the exhaust pulley point straight up... The intake's keyway should be in the same position

If all is well... check on the other side too for proper keyway positioning... If all is well.... Light it all on fire cuz the motor is comming out

Tom
I actually did most of that. Pulled the pass valve cover off and checked. The cams say R IN and R EX in the proper spots. We also verified that the alignment dots on the backside of the cam gears match up.

So pull the pulleys, pop the intake cam caps, make sure all the keyways face up together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
piston rings? not seated or damaged? what oil are you using I heard it can affect how well the rings will seat. Where do you hear the air escaping?
The bottom end should be fine, it was running well when I took it apart. There is no evidence of scoring or damage on the cylinder walls. #5 and 6 have a tiny bit of blow-by, but otherwise all is well inside. I think if the piston compression was bad enough that the engine spun this freely I'd be able to hear them bouncing off the walls.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl