View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: What tires for stock rims?

General Exclaim UHP. Good dry and wet grip, low cost, 400 treadwear rating, and will handle the occasional tiny snowfall. I have them on my car, but a size up from stock (245/40/17) and have found them quite good so far. My only complaints are the tread noise and the fact that the sidewalls are a bit on the mushy side. Be advised though that as the temperature drops the rubber of a performance tire will get harder and harder. Most feel like you're driving on bricks for the first mile once it's at or below freezing.

Another candidate would be the Cooper Zeons. I don't have personal experience with them, but I have heard good things.

As I tell anyone though, tires don't compromise when it comes to seasons, it just doesn't work. Performance tires simply don't work in snow. The stopping distance for the Generals on packed snow is about twice what it is on my Blizzak winter tires, and don't even bother trying to steer around something, best case scenario you understeer all the way in and hammer it head on with the wheels cranked. Worst, you get it sideways and wrap the car around whatever is in front of you. If you want summer performance yet live somewhere that has cold weather, you need two sets of tires.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl