Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Happyness is a car that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
Did you pull the motor to do all that work? I need to do a reseal too an it looks like it could be easier if I just pulled the engine but I don't know how difficult that would be.
I didn't pull the motor. Obviously yes, it would be easier to work on it with the engine out, but I didn't find it to be especially hard in the car. The battery, airbox, snorkle, rad, and anything else that moves basically have to be removed to make room to work. The trickiest part was getting the drivers side valve cover back in with the new gasket. A touch of high temp RTV kept it in fine. Removing the engine would only give you an advantage in that you can replace the flexplate and do the rear main seal.

A couple bits of advice though, if you want to change plugs at the same time, it's far easier to do with the valve covers out (just be careful not to pull any dirt into the open heads). Also, at the rear of the valve covers there are two half-moon seals. These don't come with the kit and you will have to find some seperately, either through Subaru (P/N 11051AA070, $18.44 for 4) or from a seperate company. I got mine from a gasket store and paid $8.50 for the set. The old ones had become so brittle that they shattered when I tried to use pliers to pull them out. Seal those in with silicon.

Other than that, not much. Oh, the seal kit doesn't come with a thermostat gasket. Get one of those as well if you plan on doing the thermostat. (might as well, you've got everything apart and it's only $10 or something.)

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl