The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Stripping a donor car for a 5-speed swap, anything else I should grab? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49923)

Blenderhead 04-19-2009 08:54 AM

Stripping a donor car for a 5-speed swap, anything else I should grab?

I just finished grabbing what I think is everything I need for the 5-speed swap. I have a 93 impreza that I am using as a donor car. The car has to go back to the junkyard when I am done, but for the $350 I paid, I'm allowed to take anything I need to do the swap. As of right now, I have the trans with shifter, flywheel, clutch/brake pedal, rear diff, all 4 axles, driveshaft, and all the misc bolts and brackets I took off in the process of getting those pieces. Is there anything else I should grab before this car goes back to the junkyard?

benebob 04-19-2009 09:32 AM

Re: Stripping a donor car for a 5-speed swap, anything else I should grab?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blenderhead (Post 597838)
I just finished grabbing what I think is everything I need for the 5-speed swap. I have a 93 impreza that I am using as a donor car. The car has to go back to the junkyard when I am done, but for the $350 I paid, I'm allowed to take anything I need to do the swap. As of right now, I have the trans with shifter, flywheel, clutch/brake pedal, rear diff, all 4 axles, driveshaft, and all the misc bolts and brackets I took off in the process of getting those pieces. Is there anything else I should grab before this car goes back to the junkyard?

I think if I remember right you may have some issues with a 1.8 clutch set up (pressure plate actually as the disk is the same). You grabbed the starter right?

Blenderhead 04-19-2009 09:48 AM

Yes, I grabbed the starter. I was planning on getting a new clutch when I install it anyway. Will I have to order one for a different car, or what?

benebob 04-19-2009 01:07 PM

Do a search of Imp 1.8s on here. If I remeber right the pressure plate is a little weak for long term success on an SVX.

Blenderhead 04-22-2009 12:03 PM

Like I said, I plan on getting a new clutch anyway. As long as the flywheel is the same, I'll get the new clutch for another car. If the flywheel is not the same, I'll have to buy the correct one too. So with that in mind, what should I order a clutch for? And can I use this flywheel, or do I need something different?

huck369 04-22-2009 12:37 PM

I have checked into it, and the AWD 1.8 uses the same clutch as the 2.2 AWD....now the FWD 1.8 does use a different clutch, and axles

jokethis89 05-06-2009 09:25 PM

My donor car was a 98 outback, but I also ended up using the brake master cylinder because the rod length was different. I know you said you had all the bolts too but don't forget the flywheel bolts, they are not easy to find. Probably the biggest hold up when I converted mine.

Blenderhead 05-06-2009 09:45 PM

Well I didn't get the brake master cylinder, so hopefully everything will be alright with that. I did grab the flywheel bolts though, so I'm good to go there.