The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please HELP!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26231)

92AWDSVX 05-16-2005 10:31 AM

Please HELP!!!

Ok, this morning i was going somewhere, and i went to start my car and NOTHING, no lights were left on, but it tried for like 2 seconds, and now the car just clicks, and nothing happens... Its been havin a little trouble, like it seems like it might be a lil hard to start for the past couple days, but i didnt think anything of it, it wasnt bad, it just didnt fire right up... but this morning it tried for like 2 seconds, and now it just clicks when i try and start it!? PLEASE HELP ME! WHAT U THINK IT COULD BE? Starter? Alternator? or what?

dcarrb 05-16-2005 10:52 AM

Dead battery.

Aredubjay 05-16-2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Dead battery.

I concur. Remove the battery (or, get a jumpstart -- if it starts, it's another sign of a dead battery), go to Autozone or Advance Auto for their FREE charging system test.

dannmarr 05-16-2005 01:29 PM

I had a similar problem. It could be the battery or the contacts or it could be the ignition switch. I had my battery checked, it needed to be replaced. I still have the problem but only once in awhile. I believe my problem is the ignition switch. I'm going to try the relay bypass fix first. ( you can find many threads on this subject) Good luck.

Earthworm 05-16-2005 04:15 PM

Could be the battery, alternator, or starter. How bright are the headlights when you turn the key on? If they're bright it's the starter/ignition.

Check the voltage when the car is running. It should be in the 14V range. If it's lower it's the alternator.

If it's none of these then it's likely the battery.

SubaSteevo 05-16-2005 05:34 PM

If it's not the battery, you might be able to fix it by installing a relay before the starter. There was a recent thread about it somewhere.

92AWDSVX 05-16-2005 09:07 PM

Its the starter i think, cuz when i hit the starter it tried to kick over and was but then the batter ran out of juice...

And my cousin had the car b4 me and he had the same problem and when he hit it it ran fine, i need a new starter, where can i get one for CHEAP???

SVXer95 05-16-2005 09:40 PM

Did you try to jumpstart it yet? Did you go to autozone for the free check yet? How can you be so sure it is the starter?

Sounds like a dead battery.

92AWDSVX 05-16-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXer95
Did you try to jumpstart it yet? Did you go to autozone for the free check yet? How can you be so sure it is the starter?

Sounds like a dead battery.

Yes i tried to jumpstart it, and i cant get to autozone cuz it wont start, and i even tried charging the battery, NOTHING, so i hit it a couple times, and it started to kick it over but then froze again...

SubaSteevo 05-16-2005 10:30 PM

Try the starter relay mod before you buy a new starter

92AWDSVX 05-16-2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
Try the starter relay mod before you buy a new starter

haHa how the hell u do that? haha

Earthworm 05-17-2005 10:51 AM

Best way to find out is use the search feature and search for "starter relay"