The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brittle hoses under Intake manifold (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59178)

Wikedjuggalo 02-06-2012 11:57 AM

Brittle hoses under Intake manifold

3 Attachment(s)
So, this all started when I wanted to replace the PCV valve for a variety of reasons. Removing the hose that goes off the top left side of the throttle body that goes under the black cover of PCV valve.

See Picture here

I had to remove the intake manifold at that rate, if it was so brittle it snapped off. That was fun, but I finally got it off and removed

See here
And Here

But back to why I posted this. What else should I replace while I have the intake manifold off? At this rate taking time to order parts and what not doesn't really matter, rather have it working right then rush and have to do this again.

Should I order the hoses from Subaru or replace them with regular vacuum lines? If you look closely in the picture you can see pretty much every hose has cracked.

kwren 02-06-2012 12:06 PM

Re: Brittle hoses under Intake manifold

I personally would get them from Subaru if possible.

Keith:cool:

dcarrb 02-06-2012 12:30 PM

I'd replace every inch of rubber hose under there. If you've never replaced knock sensors, now would probably be a good time to do that, too. There's no reason not to use generic cut-to-fit hose wherever you can.

dcb

flamestone 02-06-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 696501)
I'd replace every inch of rubber hose under there. If you've never replaced knock sensors, now would probably be a good time to do that, too. There's no reason not to use generic cut-to-fit hose wherever you can.

dcb

Agreed.

And check that little valve that runs inline with the thin vacuum hose that runs to the black plastic tank you can see at the bottom of the photo of the manifold upside down. Make sure it's not cracked.

Wikedjuggalo 02-06-2012 06:08 PM

So far all the smaller lines I got from a local parts store. The bigger ones how ever, they did not have and I don't know if I feel comfortable using Heater hose but could. What is going to kill me is the part listed as "Valve assembly-duty solenoid" 16102AA020 which is what broke. Its listed at over 130 dollars. I will be calling about that tomorrow.

Tim 02-06-2012 06:46 PM

Did you break the nipples off?

Wikedjuggalo 02-06-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 696540)
Did you break the nipples off?

Yes the nipples broke off while attempting to remove the hose.

svxfiles 02-06-2012 07:36 PM

Mychailo did a write-up on this back in 2005.http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/30340.pdf

I always use heavy duty vacuum line because its alot more durable, and about 1/5th the cost.:rolleyes:
Unless its for a customer who wants stock Subatu parts for five times the price........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW, the excessive use of rolleyes is to indicate sarcasm!:rolleyes:

Hocrest 02-06-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 696543)
Yes the nipples broke off while attempting to remove the hose.

I've fixed similar vacuum fittings with various plastic tubes (pen barrels...) and some epoxy.

SVX92-97 02-06-2012 07:57 PM

Im sure this is the area where my idle problems are coming from. Once I get the time, I will take a look. OT, I wish you had a trailer and could come pick up my car:o:(

svxfiles 02-06-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 696551)
Im sure this is the area where my idle problems are coming from. Once I get the time, I will take a look. OT, I wish you had a trailer and could come pick up my car:o:(

I have a trailer but for me to come there is not that practical..
However, I have an idea...
PM or phone call to follow.

Wikedjuggalo 02-06-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 696551)

Taking off the manifold isn't hard. Now putting it back...

Wikedjuggalo 02-06-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 696548)
Mychailo did a write-up on this back in 2005.http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/30340.pdf

I always use heavy duty vacuum line because its alot more durable, and about 1/5th the cost.:rolleyes:
Unless its for a customer who wants stock Subatu parts for five times the price........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW, the excessive use of rolleyes is to indicate sarcasm!:rolleyes:

What size are the larger ones that go into the snorkel?

svxfiles 02-06-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 696564)
What size are the larger ones that go into the snorkus?

Phone broke?
Do you mean the 1/2" inside diameter ones for the PCV and the IAC?
I have no idea.:o

:rolleyes:

Wikedjuggalo 02-06-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 696565)
Phone broke?
Do you mean the 1/2" inside diameter ones for the PCV and the IAC?
I have no idea.:o

:rolleyes:

No.. isn't it past your bed time :P?