The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rear Deck Blower (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54351)

SURTEESS 04-26-2010 07:01 PM

Rear Deck Blower

5 Attachment(s)
as "Ewie" was interested in the fact that my SVX had a "blower" attached - these photos I sent to Zavikan about 3 month ago to do a write-up ......

Cover

Cover with indicator showing

Indicator

Inside cover - showing copper coating - RF & EMC shielding in order that High Voltage transformer (ioniser) will not affect the antenna pickup for radio. Indicator is just below screw QC type connector & the little piece of plastic is the HV disable plunger.

Metal plates - these are the high volts parts (2Kv +) - replace lamp with LED, also notice micro switch that fits in with previous photo - disable HV when cover is off. Charcoal filter is just behind the plates & also a fan behind that.

SURTEESS 04-26-2010 07:05 PM

Re: Rear Deck Blower

5 Attachment(s)
Charcoal filter being removed - cutout in the gold pasivated metalwork is to get fingers on each side of filter for easy removal.

LED indicator (added current limiting resistor) - also shows earth connector to case lid.

HV ioniser plates removed (along with charcoal filter) - showing blower fan.

HV plates & charcoal filter out of unit

HV plates & charcoal filter apart.

SURTEESS 04-26-2010 07:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Another with HV plates & filter apart

Another - outside plates are joined (to form a shield) inner plates are also joined, these are the HV ones!!

Control switch - small fan indicator, fan is on LOW SPEED (no ioniser).
large fan indicator, only operates when dashboard fan operates this HIGH SPEED operates for approx 7 minutes before turning off ioniser automatically - but leaving high speed on.
I have replaced the indicator lamp with a green led & resistor - it only comes on when switch is not in middle (off) position.

Another shot of switch

Power is derived by t-junction from fan relay area under clovebox, remove original white connector - see next photo.
Then Connect T-junction & then place original wiring into other side of T.

SURTEESS 04-26-2010 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
original connector now connected to other side of T-junction connector.

The control timing module fits inside the rear window lining area - there are posts in all the SVXs that I have seen here in NZ for mounting it - I have the wiring diagram in a box somewhere......

in order to fit the rear blower, see the "how to" area about "rear speaker removal", then add remove carpet to place wiring under the plastic cover tube that sits on the floor (where the computers are). Takes about 3 hours to fit, very simple really.

The unit here was bought from a guy here in Auckland who has been wrecking 3/4 JDMs SVXs over the past couple of years (see some of my other postings for his email address - Peter is happy to post overseas) - the unit cost me NZ$100 (for everything - unit, switch, wiring, mounting screws etc).

b3lha 04-27-2010 01:54 AM

Nice write up.

I remember there was a Japanese owner on here a few years ago asking how to fix this unit. But at the time nobody knew anything about it.

I remember talking to a guy at an SVX meet. He had one in his car but he thought it was for demisting the rear screen. He thought the dealer must have fitted it backwards, blowing into the car instead of at the screen.:rolleyes:

SilverSpear 04-27-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 644738)
as Ewie was interested in the fact that my SVX had a "blower" attached ...

Had? What happened to it?

svxistentialist 04-29-2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 644784)
Had? What happened to it?

Grammar pedant.....

;)

subbieatnz 04-29-2010 04:15 PM

I had one fitted in my old JDM XT6. I could never get it to work.
Also other guy I knew who had a very high km white JDM SVX had the factory unit fitted. every time he turnned it on you could see sparks :eek:
I told him to turn it off and never use it.

zavikan 04-29-2010 04:36 PM

SURTEES:

Thank you so much for doing what I neglected to do. I have added this posting as a link to the rarities list.

James

ensteele 04-29-2010 05:40 PM

Mine works great! you can tell when it is on and the air seems like it has been cleaned. At least I don't have sparks when it is on. :rolleyes: I hadn't looked to see if there was a filter or not, but now I can see what is in it. :D

SURTEESS 04-29-2010 06:14 PM

Glad that so many find this article interesting, if I need to take the rear speakers out at any stage then I will remove the control unit (it has a copy of the circuit diagram, that I reverse engineered - I placed it in the box for save keeping).

Steve in NZ

ensteele 04-29-2010 06:56 PM

Hi Steve - I took the pictures you posted as well as the comments and wrote up a pdf of it so it would be easier to see and read. It is here in the Interior section of the How-To Docs.
I hope this helps others. :)

ensteele 04-29-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 645129)
Glad that so many find this article interesting, if I need to take the rear speakers out at any stage then I will remove the control unit (it has a copy of the circuit diagram, that I reverse engineered - I placed it in the box for save keeping).

Steve in NZ

If you post a copy of it, I can attach it to the pdf I did for you. :D

SURTEESS 04-29-2010 07:21 PM

Ensteele,

many thanks for that - if I ever find the schematic on the computer CAD area I will forward it to the group - or if I ever need to remove the inside lining of the car, the schematic is inside the controller box below the rear LH side window.

SURTEESS 06-26-2010 09:32 PM

Re: Rear Deck Blower - circuit diagram

1 Attachment(s)
Finally found it - so thought I would share...