The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rotor puller (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10524)

DavieGravy 05-04-2003 03:48 PM

Rotor puller

I was doing brakes today and couldn't get the rotors off. Where can I get a puller, do I need one, and are they expensive?

I know that some screw from the radiator fits but I wasn't sure if I need an actual puller or just a couple of screws.

Thanks in advance.

SVXRide 05-04-2003 04:20 PM

Davie,
Look closely at the rotor and you'll see two threaded holes. They take 8mm bolts -- about 1.25 " long should do the trick -- screw both in and make sure you tighten them in equally to push the rotor off. Make sure you get grade 8 bolts or better (got mine at Home Depot).
Good luck.
-Bill

DavieGravy 05-04-2003 04:33 PM

Thanks very much Bill.

svx_commuter 05-05-2003 05:55 AM

It is a good idea to clean off the hub with a wire brush and maybe use some penatrant on the hub before pulling it. The hub locates the disk with a tight fit and this can prevent it from coming off.

kuoh 05-05-2003 08:43 AM

First, if you're doing the rear rotors, make sure you don't have the parking brake engaged. Second, the bolts that hold the upper radiator brackets are a perfect fit for the threaded holes in the hub. The rotor should pop off within 3 or 4 turns of the bolts.

KuoH

mohrds 05-05-2003 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
First, if you're doing the rear rotors, make sure you don't have the parking brake engaged. Second, the bolts that hold the upper radiator brackets are a perfect fit for the threaded holes in the hub. The rotor should pop off within 3 or 4 turns of the bolts.

KuoH

Or you'll break the radiator bolts off in the rotor like I did :(

From now on, I'll buy strong bolts instead of improvising.

Doug

SVXRide 05-05-2003 09:52 AM

Doug!

I'd have sent you my grade 8 bolts:D
-Bill

wawazat?? 05-05-2003 09:57 AM

I've also used the BFH

Big Frickin' Hammer (actually a 3# dead-blow, rubber mallet). It makes a wonderful persuader.

Todd

mattski 05-05-2003 09:59 AM

It might help to clean the threads in the rotor using a tap. If you do not have one, spray a lot of lubricant into the holes, and thread in the bolts gradually, in and back out. If you feel a lot of resistance, back them out completely, flush out the accumulated rust, and try again.

Matt

Landshark 05-05-2003 10:59 AM

how about some PB Blaster - that stuff is great. :)

kuoh 05-05-2003 12:15 PM

Yours must have had some serious rust. The one front and one rear rotor that did need this persuasion when we did it presented little resistance to the bolts, even though they wouldn't budge at all with the little hammer we had on hand.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
Or you'll break the radiator bolts off in the rotor like I did :(

DavieGravy 05-05-2003 03:03 PM

Thanks for all the input. It's occurred to me that the rotors have been cut twice and probably can't be turned again. So I replaced the pads and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. Also, I did try bashing them with a rubber hammer to no sucess. But next time I need to pull them off, I think I'll be able to manage.

Beav 05-05-2003 05:51 PM

Re: I've also used the BFH

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
Big Frickin' Hammer (actually a 3# dead-blow, rubber mallet). It makes a wonderful persuader.

Todd

I also use a 3# BFH, all steel. Anything I hit with it is bound to die, so I guess you could call it a 'dead-blow' hammer. ;) I have yet to find a drum or rotor that could resist its persuasion.

Chicane 05-05-2003 07:00 PM

Uh... the rotors have screws?!?!?! I replaced all 4 rotors on my SVX, and there weren't 'screws' holding any of them on. What I had to do was undo the caliper, then sit on my ass and KICK the rotor once or twice, then it just comes right off. Do 92 LSLs have these screws?! Anyway, my brakes work fine. :)

- Rob

DavieGravy 05-05-2003 10:01 PM

They don't have screws, they have screw holes. Two of them, such that one can screw in bolts to push the rotor off if it's being stubborn.

By the way, I tightened down those (pivot?) bolts really f***in hard and no more front end noise. Pretty happy about that.