The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50374)

pearlm30 05-25-2009 02:00 PM

How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod???

Hi
I did search for the bosch relay mod for my starting problem. I still cant find where I can buy this relay and where to mount it? I did see a wiring diagram.
Can anyone help???
BTW, I tried a new starter, a good ignition switch, new battery and good cable and I still have the click click no start symdrome.

michael 05-25-2009 03:17 PM

Re: How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod???

I cant help with your info but was wondering if your new starter was bench tested?

Earthworm 05-25-2009 05:46 PM

I've heard the neutral safety switch can cause this problem. You should be checking the circuit with a multimeter to see where the voltage drop is.

The relay is a band-aid solution...but an effective one. There's a post a while back by Aredubjay explaining the relay. It shouldn't be difficult to find using the search.

oab_au 05-25-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlm30 (Post 602655)
Hi
I did search for the bosch relay mod for my starting problem. I still cant find where I can buy this relay and where to mount it? I did see a wiring diagram.
Can anyone help???
BTW, I tried a new starter, a good ignition switch, new battery and good cable and I still have the click click no start symdrome.

The relay is a Bosch 30 amp relay, used for horn, lights, etc. I would be available at most car part shops.
It is mounted down near the starter motor. Just screw it to the bulkhead, with the wiring going to the starter solenoid.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...5&d=1213056302
The wire to terminal 30 can come from the main terminal on the solenoid. The old wire with the spade terminal comes off the solenoid and plugs on to terminal 86. The new wire runs from terminal 87 on the relay to the spade terminal on the solenoid. Terminal 85 is connected to ground.

Harvey.

siceclipse 05-25-2009 06:21 PM

just curious, what does this do?

oab_au 05-25-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siceclipse (Post 602711)
just curious, what does this do?

It prevents the ignition switch, inhibitor switch, and wiring from having to carry the 30 amps of current that the solenoid needs. The relay carries the 30amps, the wiring and switches then carry only 0.100 amps.

All the switches last longer, and the starter works every time.:)

Harvey.

TomsSVX 05-25-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 602713)
It prevents the ignition switch, inhibitor switch, and wiring from having to carry the 30 amps of current that the solenoid needs. The relay carries the 30amps, the wiring and switches then carry only 0.100 amps.

All the switches last longer, and the starter works every time.:)

Harvey.

Bingo, and it works like a charm too.

Tom

dcarrb 05-26-2009 05:43 AM

I considered doing this to my silver SVX awhile back, then the problem (which happened only rarely) went away... until a few days ago.

What role does heat play? This only seems to happen to mine on warm days, with a warm engine, after the car has sat for 5-10 minutes. And I don't get a "click," just gurgling from the fuel pump.

dcb

immortal_suby 05-26-2009 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info, the picture explains it clearly.
I need to do this also.

K_Dub 05-26-2009 04:41 PM

+1, On the to do list

oab_au 05-26-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 602759)
I considered doing this to my silver SVX awhile back, then the problem (which happened only rarely) went away... until a few days ago.

What role does heat play? This only seems to happen to mine on warm days, with a warm engine, after the car has sat for 5-10 minutes. And I don't get a "click," just gurgling from the fuel pump.

dcb

When the connections, all the switches, and solenoid heat up their resistance increases, this reduces the current flow. So it will happen more, when hot.:)

Harvey.

oab_au 05-26-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 602854)
Thanks for the info, the picture explains it clearly.
I need to do this also.

I pinched the picture from Keith.:D

Harvey.

Trevor 05-26-2009 08:12 PM

A rise in temperature is exposing a fault, which is introducing resistance within the starting circuit switching, there being several points where this can occur.

A relay having less resistance and therefore drawing less current than the starter contactor solenoid, is not affected to the same extent. However it must be accepted that the fault remains and could deteriorate further, to an extent whereby the relay may not operate.

dannmarr 05-26-2009 08:18 PM

Here is a write up with photos;
http://svx-iw.com/svxiw/article/?article=196

dannmarr 05-26-2009 08:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another diagram and a photo of the installation.
#30 positive
#86 negative
#87 starter
#85 to wire that was removed from starter