The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My car sucks (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32279)

spinn360 03-23-2006 01:11 PM

My car sucks

2 months after I got my car the front diff blew. I replaced it and the pinion gear. then one coil needed replaced. then the water pump siezed up, and blew a crack thru the top of the radiator, so I replaced the timing belt and idler, and the thermostat, and the rad. then because I put the timing belt back on wrong it jumped a couple of teeth. so I did it right the second time. Then the TPS went bad and I also got a CE code for both o2 sensors ( which I thought was because the TPS was so off). Well I replaced the TPS. Then the AWD wouldnt engage( but I dont think it ever really worked and that might have been why the front diff blew in the first place). So I put a fuse in between tcu and the solenoid c, so when I pulled it out I could put it in 4wd. It was mostly just to see if that would work, and it did. But there seems to be something loose or worn because my car seems to handle like **** when I have the 4wd on (even in a straight line). So I only had the 4wd setup for about 1 ride and put it back to normal. Now the car is throwing the 02 sensor codes again and the right knock sensor code. Also sometimes when I turn the car off, all of the lights that come on the dash when you put the key on, on come on, but they come on really dim. And now the trannsmission seems to be doing funny things, I was driving at about 75 with cruise on and the rpms suddenly jumped about 1grand then went back then did it again. I dont know if that was tranny related or not, but the car also seems like its taking off in 2nd and then it will jump into 1st at the last second. I dont know if thats what it is doing or not thats just what it feels like. I hate this car I have only had it for 1 year and I think it is going to be the last subaru that I will ever buy. What the hell is wrong with my car now??

dcarrb 03-23-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinn360
I hate this car I have only had it for 1 year and I think it is going to be the last subaru that I will ever buy. What the hell is wrong with my car now??

How many miles on it? Do you have any idea how it was driven and maintained by the previous owner(s)? Remember that the youngest SVX in the fleet is approaching its tenth birthday. That's old. Old cars require diligent care; it's that simple.

No matter how well a car is made, it'll be junk after just a few years if it's constantly thrashed and neglected. I've seen the odometers on two Subarus roll over 200,000 miles and have every reason to believe I'll see a repeat performance in my SVX. But it'll surely never make it if all I do is fill the tank and floor the acclerator.

dcb

spinn360 03-23-2006 09:00 PM

the car has 125k but I dont know of its past owners. I havent even got a chance to thrash this car even if I wanted to. every weekend its in my garage with another part that needs fixed. Also the car is idling strange. sometimes almost dies while stopped and in gear was idling at 1500 then started idling at 900 w/ the shakes, now it idles up and down between 1500 and 600 rpms. After owning this car its hard to believe that any SVX is care free for more then a short period of time. I have a 93 ford probe with an auto tranny worse tranny in that type of car is the tranny in it. the current odometer reading on it is 210k and I have only had to change a broken belt and powersteering pump since I bought it two years ago(other then sced. maitinence of course). AND ITS A GODAMN FORD!! I hate my car.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Myetball 03-23-2006 09:18 PM

The dim dash lights probably means your alternator is going bad. Get that changed first then see if the newfound current helps any of the other problems. Also sounds like your tranny is about to SHlT the bed.

Dza 03-23-2006 09:40 PM

You could sell the SVX to someone who doesn't mind taking care of it if you hate it so much. Sounds like you have a daily driver already in the Probe.

The car is 14 years old with 120k miles. Cut it some slack.

triumph1902 03-23-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

AND ITS A GODAMN FORD!!

Actually It's a Mazda!;)

intelisevil 03-24-2006 02:29 AM

Spinn360

If you really hate your car that much, I could use a parts car . . . ;)

The strange idle could be as simple as a broken vacuum hose.

spinn360 03-26-2006 12:03 PM

Well I still owe 3500 on this hunk of junk, so I will let someone take it when the price gets near whatever someone is willing to pay for a parts car POS

Actually well I guess it doesnt matter wether I fix it or not I am not putting one more cent into this money trap. I am going to drive the car in peoples blind spots until it gets hit or until the car craps out on me then the loan company can have it.

n00b on demand 03-26-2006 12:28 PM

117k problem free miles on mine.....some of our cars are great.....most of them....like anything there are always a few bad apples in the bunch

spinn360 03-27-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
117k problem free miles on mine.....some of our cars are great.....a very few of them....

fixed your post:mad:

You know my car might not suck so bad but the previous owner probably drove it like a race car and wasnt a mechanic(probably didnt know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger)

TomsSVX 03-27-2006 11:50 AM

not enough 5speed in that car:D Seriously, a 5mt swap takes out all of the guessing you are doing with the auto. Simplicity at it's best

Tom

spinn360 03-27-2006 12:37 PM

Wish I had the money. but also wish I had never bought this car because I am a poor poor bastard and I dont have the money to work on it. Wish I knew what I was getting into before I bought the car. Next time I guess.

Bipa 03-27-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

You know my car might not suck so bad but the previous owner probably drove it like a race car and wasnt a mechanic(probably didnt know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger)

Hey I'd resent that .... if I knew the difference between a turbo and a supercharger http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif :p :D

Don't knock us ignorant non-mechanical types. Some of us really do try to take good care of our cars. As many people know, my baby got completely overhauled last year and is as good as new. Should last me at least another 100,000km. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/31088.gif

Electrophil 03-27-2006 02:59 PM

This is one of the worse examples I've heard of for continuous breakdowns. (Knock on wood).. Maybe it truly is time to send it down the line. :(

spinn360 03-27-2006 08:55 PM

I dont know if I mentioned this but I also have to wiggle the key in the ignition to get the autoseatbelt to actually go back. If I dont it takes about 40 sec to initiate on its own.

I was thinking that this car needs to go to the scrap yard. who knows maybe if I just park it in my back yard for about a year I will forget that there was so many back to back problems. And then maybe I will try the 5mt and replace some sensors, and some vaccum hoses and maybe I could just pull the whole engine and do a rebuild and then maybe I will give it another year and say hey why didnt I finish (probably because I ran out of money) I only had a few problems and its almost good as new. Then I'll finnaly get the engine back in and the 5mt in and get it all together and it will probably need new shocks and some brake work and some new bushings. And by the time I am finally done :eek: I'll say to myself damn I should have just bought one of those WRX's :) at least everyone thinks those are cool:rolleyes: . But then thats all just a bunch of crap so who knows.:mad: