The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission Temp Sending Unit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11295)

wynndi 06-11-2003 03:32 PM

Transmission Temp Sending Unit

1 Attachment(s)
Finally have all parts in hand to install a tranny temp gauge. Only question is where to mount the sending unit. Benebob had a good looking pillar mount gauge, but I forgot to ask where the sending unit was installed!

Any tips/photos are much appreciated!

Mr. Pockets 06-11-2003 03:41 PM

Re: Transmission Temp Sending Unit

Quote:

Originally posted by wynndi
Finally have all parts in hand to install a tranny temp gauge. Only question is where to mount the sending unit. Benebob had a good looking pillar mount gauge, but I forgot to ask where the sending unit was installed!

Any tips/photos are much appreciated!

I plan on mounting mine in a Perma-Cool ATF filter kit. The filter bracket is set up to have a temp. sending unit inserted into it.

I tried to just find some brass pipe fittings at Home Depot, but nothing really worked.

ensteele 06-11-2003 04:07 PM

That is the best way to mout it (in the filter head) and the easiest way as well. Good luck.

PS - I have some pictures in my locker of the installation.

Mr. Pockets 06-11-2003 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
That is the best way to mout it (in the filter head) and the easiest way as well. Good luck.

PS - I have some pictures in my locker of the installation.

Is there any way to mount it without drilling holes in the car, I wonder?

wynndi 06-11-2003 05:41 PM

I forgot to add that my SVX is a '96.

lee 06-11-2003 06:10 PM

3 ways at least I know of

1. Buy and install an aftermarket filter kit as mentioned earlier. May require drilling holes to mount the filter.

2. I picked up a 1/4" NPT threaded "T" and 2 hose barb fittings the same size as the ID of the transmission lines ( I forget is it 5/16" or 11/32") at my local Ace Hardware for about $2 total. Then all you have to do is cut the tranny hose on the inlet side to the cooler in the lower radiator (have a catch basin for fluid that will leak out), and put the hose barbs into the ends of the line you just cut.

3. What I think is the preferred method. Take off the tranny pan and have a hole drilled and install the fitting in the pan itself. That's where the OEM temp sender picks up for the hot ATF light. Don't try to do on car as metal shavings from the drilling will end up in the fluid no matter how careful you drill.

all three of these methods don't address running the sensor wire, but that's a whole nother issue.

ensteele 06-11-2003 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Duct tape? wire? I didn't think that drilling 2 holes in that location was all that bad. It ususally kills me to drill any holes into my cars! :)

immortal_suby 06-11-2003 07:25 PM

Quote:

Drill??// Ack - no way. There are 2 nice holes in the drivers fenderwell which work nicely to mount the filter kit. Pics in my locker. There are also holes that can be used where the dealer would mount the tsb filter kit. I used those for my wife's svx filter kit. No drill bit shall come near my car unless it is to install the 5spd.

Mr. Pockets 06-11-2003 08:22 PM

Re: 3 ways at least I know of

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
3. What I think is the preferred method. Take off the tranny pan and have a hole drilled and install the fitting in the pan itself. That's where the OEM temp sender picks up for the hot ATF light. Don't try to do on car as metal shavings from the drilling will end up in the fluid no matter how careful you drill.
Not my preferred method, at all. The oil in the pan, while physically touching the tranny itself, gets there after it has run through the cooler. I want my temp gauge to accurately reflect the real temperatures my tranny is seeing, not a best-case scenario after the cooler has done its work.

This means, in my opinion, that the temp sensor should be as close to the out pipe on the tranny as possible.

Mr. Pockets 06-11-2003 08:23 PM

Re: 3 ways at least I know of

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
2. I picked up a 1/4" NPT threaded "T" and 2 hose barb fittings the same size as the ID of the transmission lines ( I forget is it 5/16" or 11/32") at my local Ace Hardware for about $2 total. Then all you have to do is cut the tranny hose on the inlet side to the cooler in the lower radiator (have a catch basin for fluid that will leak out), and put the hose barbs into the ends of the line you just cut.
Yopu were able to find a T that put the sender in contact with the fluid, but left a big enough opening for the fluid to get through? I couldn't find one.

lee 06-11-2003 08:50 PM

Re: Re: 3 ways at least I know of

Quote:

Yopu were able to find a T that put the sender in contact with the fluid, but left a big enough opening for the fluid to get through? I couldn't find one.

Maybe I was just lucky with the combination of parts. The T worked just about perfect with the parts that came with the Hayden gauge I bought along with a Hayden stacked plate cooler (they use the same OEM as B&M).

The fluid path inside the T is bigger than the ID of the hose. I'd guess something just over 1/2" bore inside the T. The external size of the T is over 2" in length and almost an inch in width. The end of the sensor protrudes a bit into the flow, but given the size of the bore where it's at I see no problem with obstruction.

To each his own for the sensor location - probably much like the series or parallel discussion on cooler location. I too went with the line coming out of the TC thinking that would be the hottest spot I could easily measure. However every OEM and gauge maker I've seen recommends the pan - excepting those that sell the external filter kit of course. I always (probably incorrectly) assumed that was so you measured the temp of the fluid the tranny was picking up (which should be about 150-170F) vice what it was kicking out.

Mr. Pockets 06-12-2003 08:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: 3 ways at least I know of

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
To each his own for the sensor location - probably much like the series or parallel discussion on cooler location. I too went with the line coming out of the TC thinking that would be the hottest spot I could easily measure. However every OEM and gauge maker I've seen recommends the pan - excepting those that sell the external filter kit of course. I always (probably incorrectly) assumed that was so you measured the temp of the fluid the tranny was picking up (which should be about 150-170F) vice what it was kicking out.
But if you're measuring the temperature of the fluid that the tranny is picking up, then you're not getting an accurate reading of the actual fluid temperature inside the tranny - since it's obviously going to be warmer as it leaves the tranny. That's my argument. :)

I'll have to keep looking for the pipe fittings - I'd like to install mine the same way you installled youres. Any chance you could post some photos?

Zeppelin 06-12-2003 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a brass T for my sending unit, here's a pic..

Mr. Pockets 06-12-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zeppelin
I used a brass T for my sending unit, here's a pic..
Awesome - thanks! :D

Zeppelin 06-12-2003 09:54 AM

NP, Nick.. What I did was I took the sending unit into Valu with me, and found a Brass T that the sending unit would screw into.. Then, I had to get 2 female reducers for each side (I think it was 3/4" to 1/2", then 1/2" to 3/8").. Screw em all together with some locktite and you're all set!

Oh, Don't forget to crimp the tranny lines with some hose clamps so you don't get a shower! :D