The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Antenna (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39200)

etz bseder 06-02-2007 04:08 PM

Antenna

My antenna is bent and I was going to try to fix it. I got the mast out just fine, but now I can't figure out how to get the darn thing back in. Has anyone else out there tried to fix a bent antenna? How do you get them out/in. has anyone upgraded their antenna, and how would you go about doing that?

SVX_MY_BABY 06-02-2007 07:32 PM

I had the same problem and gave up. There is a way to separate the antenna from the motor, but I left that to a Subaru mechanic. I believe there are some threads in the archives on this.

I did replace mine and in hind site I should have not bothered and just put in one of the new stealth antennas used to retrofit classic cars that mount under the package shelf or some other inconspicuous place

svxcess 06-02-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
I had the same problem and gave up. There is a way to separate the antenna from the motor, but I left that to a Subaru mechanic. I believe there are some threads in the archives on this.

The first palce to check before searching the posts is in the How-To Documents folder. Use the link on the top right side of the webpage.

Everything you need to know about the removal, disassembly and reassembly of the antenna can be found HERE or HERE

Just your bent antenna mast can be replaced (#4 in the diagram) for $46.84. Known as the Rod Assembly, the PN is 86322PA010

Romantt8 06-02-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY

I did replace mine and in hind site I should have not bothered and just put in one of the new stealth antennas used to retrofit classic cars that mount under the package shelf or some other inconspicuous place

I had one of those "hidden" antennas and it did not work well anywhere inconspicuous. It was a good one but once hidden it would lose most of its reception. I tried probably a dozen or so locations in the car with similar results.

Does anyone know how good the stock rear glass antenna works compared with the power antenna? If its decent that may be another choice.

ensteele 06-03-2007 12:16 AM

The stock antennas work fine. :)

SVX_MY_BABY 06-03-2007 06:50 AM

I thought that both the rear window antenna and the power were always connected at the same time. When my power one broke I did manage to jamb it down most of the way and reception was awful.

Ricochet 06-03-2007 01:49 PM

cut off antenna, get sirius/xm, live happily ever after.

dcarrb 06-04-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etz bseder
My antenna is bent and I was going to try to fix it. I got the mast out just fine, but now I can't figure out how to get the darn thing back in. Has anyone else out there tried to fix a bent antenna? How do you get them out/in. has anyone upgraded their antenna, and how would you go about doing that?

I replaced the mast (with a new OEM part) on one of mine. Can't say about "proper" procedure; I did it the hard way: Removed and disassembled the entire spool assembly and wound the nylon leader by hand with the mast fully retracted. This was necessary because the old leader had broken-off within the housing and had to be retrieved. A minor PITA, but if I can do it, anybody can. No troubles since.

Think twice about trying to reuse that old mast, or any sort of "upgrade."

dcb