The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Blowing Hot Air (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19804)

poweredx2 07-07-2004 07:34 PM

Blowing Hot Air

I have drained and refilled my a/c at least ten times,it gets cold now an then its hot again,this time I drained it and refilled the system and its still hot,tell me do I need a new compressor or what my 94 camry will blow your socks off with cold air I wish my svx would do the same.

nsm484 07-07-2004 07:38 PM

Re: Blowing Hot Air

Quote:

Originally posted by poweredx2
I have drained and refilled my a/c at least ten times,it gets cold now an then its hot again,this time I drained it and refilled the system and its still hot,tell me do I need a new compressor or what my 94 camry will blow your socks off with cold air I wish my svx would do the same.
I dunno what to tell ya, the Prev owner of my svx replaced
the AC Unit to the newest standards, and ever sence i got it,
It blows cold air nicely... Specialy on Circulate mode ;)

lee 07-07-2004 08:03 PM

there are a large variety of things that can prevent cold air blowing, especially on the SVX - like the air mix door positioning.

you've probably posted before so please excuse my poor memory. Have you run the on-board diagnostics? Have you done the obvious checks (like the 1st question to computer users is have they checked to make sure the power plug is connected to the computer and to the wall), i.e., are you sure the compressor is turning and not just the belt, etc.?

The best diagnostic is generally done with a gauge set, reading the high and low side pressures, at around 2k rpm. Without that I don't know if anyone could tell you if it was the compressor or some other component.

SVXRide 07-07-2004 08:49 PM

Yeah, what Lee said!:D

Seriously, run the diagnostics for the HVAC system. When mine started blowing hot air I ran the diagnostics and found that the potentiometer on the baffle door was bad so the sytem wasn't letting the cold air circulate even though the a/c was cranking away - just got hot air from outside!
This said, I still haven't gotten around to fixing it....:eek:
-Bill

Hocrest 07-07-2004 08:54 PM

I just did the 134 conversion on mine last night, it was working fine but then today started blowing hot :mad: :mad:

My first thought was a major leak, but after hooking up the gauge that came with the kit, the pressure was HIGH almost off the gauge. After liberating some of the 134 and getting the pressure back down it is blowing cold again. :D:D:D

poweredx2 07-08-2004 04:59 AM

thats it

I have that same issue the pressure was in the red but after letting some freon out its still hot and what baffle door are you talking about.I watched the a/c unit the belt is turning but it appears to be something simple that is keeping the a/c from blowing cold air.

Earthworm 07-08-2004 09:05 AM

Does your A/C compressor cycle on/off?

poweredx2 07-08-2004 09:59 AM

a/c issue

No it don't cycle on and off,its never cool inside the car for it to cycle.I will check my sensors and cleaned everything today before refilling it.

Mr. Pockets 07-08-2004 10:08 AM

I don't really understand your symptoms, but tell me if this sounds familiar

My AC would work when it was cooler outside, but the hotter it got outside, the less often my AC would come on. Sometimes I'd get brief periods of cool air, but mostly it just wasn't working.

While doing some other work on the car, I had the radiator out and I noticed that the front of it was covered in road debris - leaves, bugs, stones, etc. I sprayed it from the back and flushed all that debris off the radiator.

Since then my AC has worked flawlessly.

svx_commuter 07-08-2004 10:46 AM

I had just R134 installed almost 3 years ago and it's working fine.:cool:

poweredx2 07-08-2004 12:13 PM

here is the problem

My compressor is running my gauge with the recharge kit says my system is full but it continue to blow hot air.I will check what you told me also.

Mr. Pockets 07-08-2004 12:32 PM

Are you sure the compressor is running? If you have the car running and switch the climate control from econ to auto, you can hear the compressor turn on?

poweredx2 07-08-2004 12:32 PM

a/c problems

I washed the bugs from the front of the car and the air still blows hot. I'm taking this sob to the dealership tomorrow.I'm hot and pissed its 97 outside and 110 inside with the windows down and moving.

poweredx2 07-08-2004 12:35 PM

ITS RUNNING

I'm standing here looking at the compressor running and the clutch is engaged that run the a/c.

SVXRide 07-08-2004 04:46 PM

run the diagnostics! if the variable potentiometer is shorted out you should still be able to get under the dash and jury-rig the baffle door open to let cold air flow...
-Bill