The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Remove and Replace Injectors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55715)

Manarius 10-12-2010 06:01 PM

Remove and Replace Injectors

So, I'm trying to remove and replace the injectors in my car. Here are my questions at this point:
  • Is there an easy way of getting these things out? I fought with ones that I have...had to use needle nose pliers and I don't really like that method.
  • Which O-Ring should I replace?

immortal_suby 10-12-2010 07:09 PM

Re: Remove and Replace Injectors

I've had good luck turning them 90 degrees then using a large flat blade screwdriver or pry bar to pry up on the underside of the plastic part you plug the wiring into. Haven't broken one yet.

I imagine you'd want to replace both o-rings. I ordered a "kit" from autopartswarehouse to replace the o-rings, thinking it was for all 6. All I got was enough to do 1 injector. I still need to find a supplier and pull all of mine and replace the o-rings. The kit came with 4 o-rings. 2 fit the injector, I think the other 2 might be for the fuel rail.

Manarius 10-12-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 660275)
I've had good luck turning them 90 degrees then using a large flat blade screwdriver or pry bar to pry up on the underside of the plastic part you plug the wiring into. Haven't broken one yet.

I imagine you'd want to replace both o-rings. I ordered a "kit" from autopartswarehouse to replace the o-rings, thinking it was for all 6. All I got was enough to do 1 injector. I still need to find a supplier and pull all of mine and replace the o-rings. The kit came with 4 o-rings. 2 fit the injector, I think the other 2 might be for the fuel rail.

I got a multi-o-ring kit from Autozone; we'll see how many of those fit.

Another question: What do you do if one of those little screws strips out?

svxfiles 10-12-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660289)

NO!
If you do not use Genuine Subaru injector O-Rings, and they leak, or fail altogether then you have gasoline squirting into your intake manifold at 36.3 PSI!
Can you say diluted oil, junk engine?
Also use plenty of petrolium jelly to lube up the new Subaru O-Rings so they do not get scuffed.

[SIZE="1"]Sorry for the size 7, and the RED but, an SVX engine deserves to live.[SIZE]

Manarius 10-13-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 660290)
NO!
If you do not use Genuine Subaru injector O-Rings, and they leak, or fail altogether then you have gasoline squirting into your intake manifold at 36.3 PSI!
Can you say diluted oil, junk engine?
Also use plenty of petrolium jelly to lube up the new Subaru O-Rings so they do not get scuffed.

[SIZE="1"]Sorry for the size 7, and the RED but, an SVX engine deserves to live.[SIZE]

So, what is the part number for these things?

svxfiles 10-13-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660322)
So, what is the part number for these things?

6- #16698AA050 Pt190294 O-ring $7.73
6- #16698AA060 Pt190294 O-ring $7.73
Thanks for listening.:)

Manarius 10-13-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 660324)
6- #16698AA050 Pt190294 O-ring $7.73
6- #16698AA060 Pt190294 O-ring $7.73
Thanks for listening.:)

$5.66 actually :p

and I certainly hope that's for 6 of them. Not just one. I'm not paying $60 for just gaskets.

svxfiles 10-13-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660334)
$5.66 actually :p

and I certainly hope that's for 6 of them. Not just one. I'm not paying $60 for just gaskets.

The prices have been constantly "changing" at Subaru.:rolleyes:
So I just showed the subaruparts.com list price without shipping.

And yes, they are $6.00 each times twelve, about $72.00.
Still much cheaper than an engine change.

Cam 10-13-2010 01:23 PM

When removing those tiny little screws it is essential you use an impact driver. It's a screwdriver that you hit with a hammer, and the internals force it to turn when being compressed. If you don't use one, you WILL strip out at least one screw (if you are uber lucky)

immortal_suby 10-13-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660289)

I tried that. None of them fit. Not one. The part listed to fit the svx at autozone and advance auto is wrong.

Green1995SVX 10-13-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660334)
I'm not paying $60 for just gaskets.

It's a good thing you don't own a European car.

Manarius 10-13-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 660399)
I tried that. None of them fit. Not one. The part listed to fit the svx at autozone and advance auto is wrong.

I have a guy down at Federated Auto who can get me o-ring kit sets for about $7 a piece. The Legacy 2.2 from 1995 takes the same gaskets, so it makes them a little easier to find. (Finding parts for the SVX is pretty much impossible, but when you search under Legacy, even though it's the same part number, they're available).

Hmm, if you search for the Legacy or SVX L, they have the kits for $3.52/injector on RockAuto. Heck, the injectors for the SVX are the same part number as the ones for the Legacy 2.2.

svxfiles 10-13-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660414)
I have a guy down at Federated Auto who can get me o-ring kit sets for about $7 a piece. The Legacy 2.2 from 1995 takes the same gaskets, so it makes them a little easier to find. (Finding parts for the SVX is pretty much impossible, but when you search under Legacy, even though it's the same part number, they're available).

Hmm, if you search for the Legacy or SVX L, they have the kits for $3.52/injector on RockAuto. Heck, the injectors for the SVX are the same part number as the ones for the Legacy 2.2.

Yep, they both use the Red Tops.

Are you saying he can get six O-Rings for $7.00?!
Or for $7.00 each?

1986nate 10-13-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 660414)

Rock auto uses a lot of the same suppliers that Autozone, advance auto and others all use as well as some things being OEM. so I wouldn't trust them from their either if the ones from AZ aren't good.

Gamesy 10-14-2010 12:51 AM

holy crap those are pricy
FYI
the svx injectors use the same o-rings as the Nissan KA and SR engines(hence the sr-20det injectors for the ecutune stage2 setup),
i picked up all 12 gaskets from a local nissan dealer and i think it came to something like $15-18 for all of em
i did use needle nose pliers to take em off or just cut em. putting them back on was way easier make sure to lube em first, i let mine soak in oil.

as for taking them out of the rail..... ya.. it was easier to take the rail off and then took a hammer with a robertson to knock em out. the funny thing is those injectors still work properly after smacking it with a hammer and screwdriver. i do recommend replacing the phillips screws with hexkey screws in case they need to be changed later on.

these are my 2 cents... take it or leave it :D