The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   To Tint or Not To Tint....That is the Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56261)

ykobayashi 12-31-2010 12:31 AM

To Tint or Not To Tint....That is the Question

I would like to ask all of you. I have a brilliant red 95 and I have not done a lot to the car as far as mods in the 15 years I have owned the car.

I was thinking of tinting the windows, any thoughts? I Googled SVX images and noticed that a lot of you have NOT tinted the windows. Is there a reason for this? Just thought I'd get some opinions on it during the winter so I can get my mod agenda together for the spring while my baby is hibernating.

Thanks,

svxfiles 12-31-2010 06:17 AM

Re: To Tint or Not To Tint....That is the Question

Just remember that our stock lighting stinks.
And after 35 your night vison decreases.:(
I have removed the rear window tinting and gone for MUCH better lighting both forwards and reverse.
5000k HIDs & 50W rears!;)

Johnybeas 12-31-2010 08:18 AM

I blacked mine out, but tom is right about the lighting hid's are deff a need for the SVX. I did 10 all the way around and 35 on windsheild, looks sick and keeps it cooler, haven't had any problems seeing either.

svxfiles 12-31-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnybeas (Post 665714)
I blacked mine out, but tom is right about the lighting hid's are deff a need for the SVX. I did 10 all the way around and 35 on windsheild, looks sick and keeps it cooler, haven't had any problems seeing either.

Yea!, But you're like 23!And probabily still wearing short pants!
Yoshi is OLD!
Like 42!:eek:

And STILL DRIVING!:eek::eek:
Sure its 45 mph in the 65 zone with his blinker on headed out to bingo, but still.

TEE,HEE,HEE, snort!
Happy New Year!

thickasxthieves 12-31-2010 09:42 AM

ive got 20% all around and a stripe on my windshield. backing up at night can be a bit of a hassle, i usually end up sticking my head out the window. but lookwise it makes the svx look a hell of alot cleaner. and makes you invisible to people in suvs even when your window is down :D

do the tint.

icingdeath88 12-31-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thickasxthieves (Post 665724)
backing up at night can be a bit of a hassle, i usually end up sticking my head out the window.

+1 this can be a real pain in the ass. Only my upper side windows are tinted, but the side mirrors are blocked so I'm completely blind reversing at night. Just don't go very dark at all and you'll be ok though. It bothers me so much that I'm planning on removing the tint and redoing it lighter.

Johnybeas 12-31-2010 07:37 PM

Well my 23 year old eagle eyes love my tint n can see just fine lol n m svx looks sexy :)

Subix 01-01-2011 04:01 AM

When I first tinted mine I kind of missed the opened feel it gave you, with all the light pouring in. However, I prefer to be slightly cooler during the summer and like for people not to see in my car since they tend to look anyways.

I have 20% all around and nothing on the Windshield (which looks kind of odd at first but I'm used to it now) and I don't want anything blocking my main vision path, though I have considered 35% before. I have only been asked about my tint once by a cop, he asked if anyone has ever said anything to me about it before, I said no... and he said he thinks it may be too dark but didn't comment further after he realized I wasn't driving with my brights on the entire time or drunk because that's apparently what drunk drivers do. :rolleyes:

10% would seem incredibly too dark imo... I think 20/25 is about perfect, but that is me. I can't wait for the day we have electronic tinting and you can turn it on/off as you desire and to whatever %. :tongue:

SvXit 01-01-2011 07:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ykobayashi (Post 665708)
I would like to ask all of you. I have a brilliant red 95 and I have not done a lot to the car as far as mods in the 15 years I have owned the car.

I was thinking of tinting the windows, any thoughts? I Googled SVX images and noticed that a lot of you have NOT tinted the windows. Is there a reason for this? Just thought I'd get some opinions on it during the winter so I can get my mod agenda together for the spring while my baby is hibernating.

Thanks,

Not certain if this will help, but here are two pictures of 35%, the first at night. You can see out, but still have some privacy. Never had a problem seeing whilst backing up.

Green1995SVX 01-01-2011 09:20 AM

Several years ago I made a how-to on tinting SVX windows.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/34153.pdf

Perhaps you can do it yourself to save money.

**Ewie** 01-01-2011 03:45 PM

I'm keen to tint my 92 Pearl. Here in New Zealand, tiniting the windscreen is illegal and max tint is 35% but there are some good 3M products on the market that make it look darker than it really is.

Will cost me ~$700 NZD to have it done. Since my old girl is outdoors a lot, I'll be getting the tints pretty soon.

ykobayashi 01-05-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 665716)
Yea!, But you're like 23!And probabily still wearing short pants!
Yoshi is OLD!
Like 42!:eek:

And STILL DRIVING!:eek::eek:
Sure its 45 mph in the 65 zone with his blinker on headed out to bingo, but still.

TEE,HEE,HEE, snort!
Happy New Year!

BRUTAL! If I could get out of this walker I would come over there and teach you whippersnappers a real lesson! Dagnabit!:lol:

ykobayashi 01-05-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvXit (Post 665761)
Not certain if this will help, but here are two pictures of 35%, the first at night. You can see out, but still have some privacy. Never had a problem seeing whilst backing up.

That is a pretty pearlie, nice and clean! Thanks, that helps! I am planning on doing everything except for the windshield.

ykobayashi 01-05-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 665709)
Just remember that our stock lighting stinks.
And after 35 your night vison decreases.:(
I have removed the rear window tinting and gone for MUCH better lighting both forwards and reverse.
5000k HIDs & 50W rears!;)

Don't want to take this thread in the wrong direction but what did you do for HIDs. I was planning on doing that as well but I searched the forums and noticed that most people few years back were doing conversions of the reflector as well. I was reading on DDM's site that their kits are pretty much plug and play without changing out the reflectors. What did you use for your conversion? Is there a recommended mfg to use in the SVX?

Thanks,

Yoshi "Geriatric" Kobayashi

odepaj 01-06-2011 02:02 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6615190_n.jpg

I like having my windows tinted, but I wish I had done it a little lighter.