The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   anybody change their steering wheel? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61293)

bishop 02-10-2013 12:49 PM

anybody change their steering wheel?

As much as i like the interior of the svx the big grey marshmallow in front of me just doesnt seem to match the rest of it. Has anybody changed their steering wheel to anything else?

Sean486 02-10-2013 01:04 PM

Re: anybody change their steering wheel?

Lot of people put in the Momo wheel from the WRX. It is a huge upgrade in the looks department, however you lose the airbag.

scoobymal 02-10-2013 01:36 PM

I fitted an STI version 8 wheel to mine, I lost the airbag but kept the cruise contro:)l .....

SURTEESS 02-10-2013 02:35 PM

How do you lose the airbag & still able to get compliance at testing stations ?

1986nate 02-10-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 719773)
How do you lose the airbag & still able to get compliance at testing stations ?

I don't believe the airbag system is checked in any state in the US. Very few states have actual inspections as it is and I don't believe any test/chek the airbag system. As long as the airbags are in place (even if different steering wheel) that is all that matters.

steveherman 02-10-2013 03:30 PM

Icing did a momo swap and kept the airbag and the cruise.

Sean486 02-10-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveherman (Post 719775)
Icing did a momo swap and kept the airbag and the cruise.

Are you quite sure about that, my understanding was that they used different voltages.

icingdeath88 02-10-2013 07:22 PM

I used the SVX airbag charge from the stock steering wheel. (NOT responsible if something blows up in anyone's face). The wheel is a 90s Legacy GT wheel (pics in album linked in sig somewhere), and I think I had to trim the inside just a little bit to make the airbag charge fit, since it's a little bit bigger than the one that was in there. Also made sure the body of the airbag charge wasn't grounded to anything, since neither were when I got them. Making the horn work was pretty easy, and obvious once both wheels are opened up in front of you. As for the cruise, the place to mount the switch was already there, just had to cut a hole for the switch to poke out through in the back panel of the steering wheel. I did have to cut a wider hole on the back of the steering wheel where it mounts to the column to fit the wires through it, and because there was a round part that rubbed against the SVX column trim.

I picked a 90s legacy wheel since I figured the airbags themselves would be as similar as you could hope for. The airbag charge and the bag itself are from different cars, so there's no way to know for sure whether they will work perfectly together without blowing one up to try it out. I hope never to find out. The newer WRX wheels are smaller in the middle section, so I don't know if I would make the same assumption with those that they'd be close enough to work.

There are some MOMO outback wheels that are black with woodgrain on the top and bottom of the wheel itself, that look like it would match the inside of a later, lighter woodgrain SVX pretty well.

AGAIN, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BLOW ANYTHING UP.

steveherman 02-10-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 719778)
Are you quite sure about that, my understanding was that they used different voltages.

Yes. I am quite sure.

svxcess 02-10-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 719789)

There are some MOMO outback wheels that are black with woodgrain on the top and bottom of the wheel itself, that look like it would match the inside of a later, lighter woodgrain SVX pretty well.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outbac...-vdc-2002m.jpg

svxcess 02-10-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 719789)

Both our 2002 3.0 H6 VDC Outback sedan and wagon had the wood and perforated leather wheel. Some of the L.L. Bean models got the same wheel, but with MOMO in the center.

bishop 02-10-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 719792)
Both our 2002 3.0 H6 VDC Outback sedan and wagon had the wood and perforated leather wheel. Some of the L.L. Bean models got the same wheel, but with MOMO in the center.

that is sexy, though with it so glossy i would have to pull out all my "wood" trim pieces and clear coat them to match.

svxcess 02-10-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop (Post 719794)
that is sexy, though with it so glossy i would have to pull out all my "wood" trim pieces and clear coat them to match.

Far much easier to get some #0000 steel wool and take down the gloss on the wheel to more of a satin finish to match the dash.

icingdeath88 02-10-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 719792)

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find any examples on ebay. Thought they all had the "MOMO". I quite like my all black one. Maybe one day I'll get a woodgrain one for my 97. I worry how well the black will match the rest of the tan interior though. What do you think, having seen both in person?

zaueugen 02-11-2013 06:05 PM

So besides the woodgrain and the center name, the rest of the wheel's size and shape is exactly same ? Because I would like an all black wheel with subaru in the middle not momo