The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Steering Pump (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41830)

robyo23 11-12-2007 09:04 PM

Power Steering Pump

Hello,

I need a new power steering pump. However I am not sure which one i have.

Without taking the pump out is there a way of telling? I Have a Canadian model VIN JF1CX3538NH102464

Ok so I know which one I have now, thanks! Any further help is great.

Thanks,
Rob

EDIT ILL ADD MORE INFO TO BEGINNING THREAD
Ok so my problem, is when when I turn at slow speeds, say in and out of parking lots, drive ways - or from a stop - it shudders a bit in the front - ONLY when i turn the wheels, if I am going straightand continue to stay straight i have no problem at all. Also the faster of turn I make the lesser the vibration is.

Also upon start up of the SVX, There is a loud noise near where the power steering is. This noise sounds liek the power steering and it whines louder inside the car - It always whines even if there is no shuddering.

My assumption is that this is the power steering. As I have already replaced the belts. And I have had similar noises when the power steering went in my jeep, but with no vibrations - just real hard to turn ;)

Crazy_pilot 11-12-2007 09:10 PM

Well I can tell you that you own a 92 LS-L, number 2464 off the line. The LS-L has the fancier speed sensing steering. The LS has engine RPM sensing steering. I'm not sure of an LS pump can be used in an LS-L.

Here's the VIN decoder: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14353.jpg

Hondasucks 11-12-2007 09:31 PM

ASFAIK the speed sensitive stuff is in the rack itself, not the pump. (When we pulled the motor out of the parts car @ Nextse7en's house, I noticed a valve body and a bundle of wires going to the steering rack, that my other Subarus don't have)

Best way to tell is look @ the part number on the pump itself and compare it with that of an LS

NiftySVX 11-13-2007 12:36 AM

I am almost certain that the pumps are not interchangable. They have different part numbers. I believe the L/LS pump will operate, but may make the operation erratic.

robyo23 11-13-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 508382)
ASFAIK the speed sensitive stuff is in the rack itself, not the pump. (When we pulled the motor out of the parts car @ Nextse7en's house, I noticed a valve body and a bundle of wires going to the steering rack, that my other Subarus don't have)

Best way to tell is look @ the part number on the pump itself and compare it with that of an LS

Ok so my problem, is when when I turn at slow speeds, say in and out of parking lots, drive ways - or from a stop - it shudders a bit in the front - ONLY when i turn the wheels, if I am going straightand continue to stay straight i have no problem at all. Also the faster of turn I make the lesser the vibration is.

Also upon start up of the SVX, There is a loud noise near where the power steering is. When I turn the wheels the pump seems to whine loudly even when I am moving - sometimes there is no shudder in the front but it still whines.

My assumption is that this is the power steering. As I have already replaced the belts. I am hoping it is not the whole rack - am I right to assume it is the pump or are you saying I have to replace both pump and rack at the same time?

Thanks,

immortal_suby 11-13-2007 07:33 PM

Before you replace that pump just try a new o-ring. It could be the culprit since you say your belts are fine. It is a very cheap and easy fix. There is a how-to on this site.

ensteele 11-14-2007 12:24 AM

I can almost guarantee that it is the O-Ring. It will fix that problem and you don't need a new pump. Good luck. Here is the link to the How-To. :)

robyo23 11-14-2007 08:49 AM

Thanks guys I'll give it a try this weekend - after she comes out of the paint booth :)

Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 508623)
I can almost guarantee that it is the O-Ring. It will fix that problem and you don't need a new pump. Good luck. Here is the link to the How-To. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 508558)
Before you replace that pump just try a new o-ring. It could be the culprit since you say your belts are fine. It is a very cheap and easy fix. There is a how-to on this site.